Tho pci ex card??

koala

h.264 is the encoding standard, x264 is the name of a software encoder library that implements this standard. h.265 is a different encoding standard. Nvenc with OBS supports both (except on the very first Nvidia GPUs with Kepler chipset 10 years ago).
However, h.265 isn't supported by any free video streaming service, probably due to licensing issues: they have to pay a license fee for every active viewer watching a h.265 stream, which isn't possible at all for a free service.

SilvaJ

I see only talking about h.265 in coding tests with GTX 1650 ...
So is there an option to choose which codec to use in the OBS settings?

koala

OBS always records with h.264. Recording with h.265 is available with ffmpeg output, but very difficult to find and to use. As far as I remember there is a plugin that makes h.265 usage easier, but it's something you have to explicitly install as plugin.
If you just use OBS as it is downloaded, you will always get h.264 encoded video.

SilvaJ

h.264 is the encoding standard, x264 is the name of a software encoder library that implements this standard. h.265 is a different encoding standard. Nvenc with OBS supports both (except on the very first Nvidia GPUs with Kepler chipset 10 years ago).
However, h.265 isn't supported by any free video streaming service, probably due to licensing issues: they have to pay a license fee for every active viewer watching a h.265 stream, which isn't possible at all for a free service.
I didn't see that answer ... So an NVidia turing is more cost-effective to record, Equal to an average CPU. Great news!

SilvaJ

A change to a Nvidia RTX or GTX 1660 to get the most advanced nvenc circuit might be a cheaper choice. Nvenc quality on these (with the Turing chip) is between the "fast" and "medium" preset of x264, which is a stretch for most CPUs except the most powerful. With nvenc, it's free.
I assume the average CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700 or an i7 8700k. And a top CPU would be an i9 or a Ryzen 9 ...