Tho pci ex card??

SilvaJ

Two pci ex cards?
What happens if you install two pci ex 1080p30 cards (hardware encoder) + OBS?

1) Faster. Would you be able to capture gameplay at 60FPS?

2) Better. Or it would double the video quality at 30 fps?

Harold

1> no
2> no

Because of limits of the system itself, you're actually far more likely to make performance and quality WORSE not better.

SilvaJ

You mean card limits? You wouldn't be able to make 1440p60, but it would make 1080p30 more faster and with better quality. Right?

Harold

No it would not. You gain NOTHING by trying to use 2 video cards with obs except a lot of headache and no performance or quality.

SilvaJ

Bro, i'm not talking about nvidia or amd gpu. I'm talking about SOC's, arm processor dedicated to processing only h.264.
Like Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K.
On a PC dedicated only to video capture and nothing else. These cards don't even use the CPU.
Would the same thing happen with two gpus, bottleneck?

koala

OBS isn't able to use any external h.264 encoder except the encoders in Nvidia GPUs (nvenc), Intel (Quicksync) or AMD (VCE). Using two GPUs will not increase performance with OBS, because data has to be moved around between cards, which is dragging down the system more than the added computing performance will improve it.

If this is not what you're talking about, explain in more detail what you intend to do. We cannot guess what you didn't tell.

SilvaJ

Okay, I understand the logic of double hardware, latency.
But now you have pointed out something that I did not imagine. I believed that OBS alone would operate 100% of most video compression hardware.
Does it mean that OBS could not use BM Intensity 4k (for example), to capture and compress a video without using gpu / cpu resources, even though this card has x264 compression hardware???
intro-sm@2x.jpg

*Thanks for the answers. I have been researching video capture 4 to 6 hours a day for the past week.

Harold

Even if the intensity DID have a h264 encoder (it doesn't), OBS can't leverage it.
You gain no benefit from adding a capture card in a system to attempt to do that offloading.

SilvaJ

Ok. See, this guy installed a pcie capture device, opened OBS and added it as a 'capture device' and recorded a video. I believed that the pcie device was responsible for 100% of the video capture, commanded by OBS. At 6:00
Are you saying that the only function of that device over there is to receive and pass the hdmi signal to the monitor, and that who is really recording are the resources of the cpu/gpu?

Harold

The capture card does NOT do any of the processing you think it should.

All it does is convert the signal into a format that can be used by software like OBS.

Adding a capture card to a single-pc setup gives you NO benefit.

koala

You need a capture card to capture an external hdmi signal, for example from a gaming console or a dslr. It's the scanner that converts the video signal to an (unencoded) data stream. OBS is reading this unencoded data stream, processes it (compositing with other source), encodes it, then saves to disk or sends as encoded data stream to some streaming provider.

If you want to capture a game on your PC, you don't need a capture card, because OBS is able to read the video data directly from the frame buffer of your GPU. This is way more efficient than scanning the hdmi signal and feeding it back with a capture card through USB or the pci-express bus into OBS.

A h.264 encoder that may exist on some capture cards isn't used by OBS. It's only used by the native software that comes with that capture card. It's proprietary with no standardized API or no API at all, so only the native capture card software is able to use it.

SilvaJ

Now it makes sense.
In fact I just want to record my gameplay, in 1080p60 with great quality if possible. Edit the video without haste, and then leave the PC sending the file overnight. I don't want anything with streaming. My problem is that all posts, articles, that I read only talk about streaming, it confuses me.
I'm just trying to find a more cost-benefit solution that doesn't involve building a second PC.
Can my pc do this?
* MSI B450, Ryzen 7 2700, RX 580 8GB, 16GB Ram, M2 256GB, SSD 128GB, HDD1T.

koala

Recording isn't very much different from streaming from OBS' point of view. Instead of sending the encoded video data to some streaming provider, it saves the same data to disk. The main difference from streaming to recording is you are able to encode with much higher quality than with streaming, because you don't have bandwidth constraints. On disk, you have unlimited space and almost unlimited throughput, so you choose a quality-based rate control (CRF, CQP, ICQ) for recording instead of a constant bitrate rate control (CBR) for streaming.

Your PC with a Ryzen 7 2700 and a RX 580 is able to support recording with OBS, yes. Use Tools->Auto Configuration Wizard to get a baseline configuration and fine tune from this. Don't forget to limit the fps of your game. Limit to 60 fps and activate vsync. If you let it run unlimited, the game will eat up all GPU and CPU resources and OBS is starving from resources, so any video will be choppy and low quality.

SilvaJ

Well, I was initially believing that pci ex capture cards would be a good cost-effective way to remove workload from the PC, but that is just an expensive connector...
With 1GB/s write on the M2 it's like I have an 8 gigabit network for streaming. Which frees up processing, from compression to quality.
So I believe that I can take a good quality video from my PC without having to mount a second machine right from the start.
Thanks for the clarifications, they were very helpful.

koala

Exactly, a capture card is only a connector. Regardless of it being USB or pci-express. The compositing workload is on the GPU, and the encoding workload is either on the CPU (for x264 software encoder) or in case of a hardware encoder on the encoding circuit of the GPU. In case of an Nvidia GPU, the hardware encoder is free, because it is a dedicated circuit, and in case of an AMD or Intel GPU, it needs some GPU computing resources. On Intel GPUs (iGPU) not very much, on AMD GPUs quite some.

Because of this, optimal streaming or recording hardware includes either a CPU strong enough to support both the game and the x264 software encoder and a GPU of arbitrary performance. Or a CPU of arbitrary performance and an NVidia GPU for the nvenc hardware encoder.

SilvaJ

I read these days about Intel Quicksyn, NVidia nvenc, and AMD VCE. I found it more interesting to focus on h.264 because of the quality, although my hardware is not ideal.
A pity that many cores do not help, there are Xeon with 12/24 and 15/30 cores in China and the x79 and x99 platforms with good prices. But with 3.6Ghz I believe it is not fast enough. The current Intel platform is very expensive for me.
Perhaps an upgrade to Ryzen 7 3700x will make things easier in the future.

koala

A change to a Nvidia RTX or GTX 1660 to get the most advanced nvenc circuit might be a cheaper choice. Nvenc quality on these (with the Turing chip) is between the "fast" and "medium" preset of x264, which is a stretch for most CPUs except the most powerful. With nvenc, it's free.

Last edited:

SilvaJ

Yes I know, I was trying a way to use h.264, and Nvidia nvenc is h.265.
By the way, I saw a diagram of the turing gpu, and it has h.264 encoder hardware too, but I don't see anyone talking about it. Does OBS support NVidia's h.264 encoder hardware ?

Harold

you have your numbers backwards, and h.265 is NOT supported by any current streaming service.
H.264 (be it nvidia nvenc or x264) is