The progress and plan on SRT(Secure Reliable Transport) integration?

icecore44

About two months ago, SRT Alliance announced that OBS Studio is going to implement SRT (https://www.srtalliance.org/srt-all...col-to-open-broadcaster-softwares-obs-studio/), many CDN platform in China, including Ali Cloud and Tencent Cloud are very exciting about this news. They would like to know what is current status of the integration, how soon we will have the release support SRT?
Beside of that, they are also curious about how SRT will be implement, will it be just a MPEG TS over SRT, FLV over SRT or any format over SRT?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
We are waiting for Haivision to finish adding mbedTLS support to libsrt, which is what we use for transport layer security (OpenSSL isn't compatible with the GPLv2).

icecore44

We are waiting for Haivision to finish adding mbedTLS support to libsrt, which is what we use for transport layer security (OpenSSL isn't compatible with the GPLv2).
Is there any update? Has Haivision finished the SRT release with the new callback mechanism and mbedTLS support, updated ffmpeg? Thanks!

adcprod74

I'm very excited about SRT low-latency streaming and the potential it holds.

This is a little off-topic, but on the flipside is there a free open-source server that supports ingest of this streaming protocol like NGINX does for RTMP that anyone is aware of?

I really don't want to deal with Wowza or something else proprietary. NGINX-RTMP has been wonderful to me/us and OBS as a whole, but something like NGINX-SRT would be a wonderful upgrade. I haven't found anything yet. (It doesn't help my Googling that SRT is also an acronym for subtitles so maybe I missed it.)

From what I can tell, Arut doesn't seem into the idea... https://github.com/arut/nginx-ts-module/issues/17

Dantana

Is there any updates? Several months passed and even though the support have been announced several months ago and some members asked, no response.
Will this protocol be ever included?
Anyone?

Ragnos

Basic support for this has been added in PR#1748 but as of now nobody thought about adding SRT support to ffmpeg distributed with obs-studio...

reustaquio

When would be possible to run SRT inputs ? Somethink like srt://localhost:port?mode=listener as source !
1587517848733.png

Is that on the roadmap ?

mr_tbot

This is already possible. Try deleting the "mode=listener" part from the Input URL.

This is actually exactly what I was wondering as well, however I'm not having luck getting this working...

Been using RTMP via NGINX... But I've been having problems during recent streams - would like to try SRT but without a 3rd party service...

How would one set up an outbound SRT stream in OBS to go into a say... media source in another copy of OBS running on a different machine...?

I'm doing large multi-DJ streams for charity and up till now RTMP has been the way to go - but it's just not working right - I'm losing audio when switching between scenes and I can't find a solution for it... figured i'd give SRT a try.

claudio cohen

This is already possible. Try deleting the "mode=listener" part from the Input URL.

In fact mode=listener is the way to go. I was able to get it work with larix broadcaster. Only problem is that for some reason you have to leave open properties window to make it work. If you close it it will freeze source. I assume this is a bug.

Also I having trouble to add a second SRT source. On the properties window I can see video source, but it wont appear in preview view.