The OBS Estimator needs to change

Hey there guys.

A really quick suggestion for the OBS Estimator. It is not accurate not useful for people who are just starting out. In fact, the suggested bitrate settings are hurting new streamers more than they are a service to them. If you have the upload speed for it, the OBS Estimator will suggest you to use the monstrous bitrate of 3500kbps. As many of us know this is not recommended as a non-partnered streamer, as this will cost you viewers.

Currently the suggested bitrate given by the OBS Estimator tries to achieve the highest possible quality without taking into consideration whether the stream is actually going to be watchable by your viewers or not.

I suggest implementing the following formula:
(pixel width * pixel height * frames-per-second * desired fidelity in bpp) / 1000

This bitrate should then be put next to the upload speed. If it comes too close to the maximum upload speed, it should suggest you use a lower resolution and/or framerate.

The suggested bitrate should not only depend on your upload speed. The OBS Estimator will even suggest you use 3500kbps is you're streaming at 640x480 as long as you have the upload speed, which is absurd.

Also, the following notion is inaccurate:
  • Consider setting FPS to 60 if you have spare CPU power for improved quality

60 FPS streaming improves motion, but will never improve the quality of a stream. With Twitch's ingest cap of 3500kbps you will also not be able to stream at 720p or 1080p at such a framerate. At least, not without severely depriving the video data of much needed bits (although it depends on the title, of course). As a non-partnered streamer, I would mostly suggest avoiding 60 FPS altogether.

I'm aware that most of us found our way around the streaming settings already, but for people starting out the OBS Estimator needs to be a useful tool.

This is not a high priority thing, since most folks turn to the forums or reddit where we can provide more accurate and useful settings, but it is something that needs to be changed.