Question / Help The "Failed to initialize video: Unspecified error" error...

Sebamontor1

So I found out that there's a way to install OBS on linux, I've Ubuntu 14.04 and I followed the instructions found here:

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/ubuntu-14-04-ppa-installation-instructions.16495/ (got there from here: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/guide-linux-ubuntu-based-os-installation.16325/)

I did all the steps and the error popped out, I read that you need OpenGL 3.2 but I don't know how to install it.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

GPU AMD ATI R9 270x

Don't know if there's any instruction or something...

Thanks in advance :D

try the oibaf ppa IF using the open source radeon driver OR install the proprietary fglrx driver from amd, check "additional drivers" within your system settings.

Sebamontor1

try the oibaf ppa IF using the open source radeon driver OR install the proprietary fglrx driver from amd, check "additional drivers" within your system settings.

So, I run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Nothing changed, so I changed from xorg open source drivers, to the fglrx proprietary ones, then I went and typed "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" on the terminal and the screen went black when I pressed ENTER (It may have been a pop-up about restart the PC)... so I restarted the PC because it was just black screen with a white thing at the top left. When I get in Ubuntu I try to run OBS and the program runs, OpenGL version is now 4.30 (I believe...), I haven't tried streaming or recording, it just runs.

My problem is, I've used the fglrx before but I chose to stay with the open source because I found it better, more stable and there was some programs that would crash or won't even start with fglrx. Is there a way to use the open source and update OpenGL? Or will I have to switch every time or just use this one from now on?

Thanks for your quick reply btw :D Much appreciated.

EDIT: Tried streaming and it works... I can't believe it haha Thank you ubuntu addicted (still will try to see if is possible with the open source driver)

Last edited:
i believe after enabling the oibaf ppa you have to issue. if unsure on what the command does, you can always check the manual by issuing
Code:
man apt-get
and read what the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade is.
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
in order for it to update the mesa/opengl libraries. BUT before you do that ensure you completely remove the fglrx driver, messing with the drivers like this can easily result in you booting to only a command line. also, after issuing the command i posted, read thru the packages that are being upgraded before you hit "Y".

it's important to note that if you use the oibaf ppa that to properly disable it, you MUST use ppa-purge, that will not only remove the ppa but also revert any packages back to their previous version they were before you enabled the oibaf ppa. i ran into a huge mess when i didn't use ppa-purge and had mesa/opengl libraries laying around my system for a long time which resulted in issues for various opengl programs etc etc.

Sebamontor1

i believe after enabling the oibaf ppa you have to issue. if unsure on what the command does, you can always check the manual by issuing
Code:
man apt-get
and read what the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade is.
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
in order for it to update the mesa/opengl libraries. BUT before you do that ensure you completely remove the fglrx driver, messing with the drivers like this can easily result in you booting to only a command line. also, after issuing the command i posted, read thru the packages that are being upgraded before you hit "Y".

it's important to note that if you use the oibaf ppa that to properly disable it, you MUST use ppa-purge, that will not only remove the ppa but also revert any packages back to their previous version they were before you enabled the oibaf ppa. i ran into a huge mess when i didn't use ppa-purge and had mesa/opengl libraries laying around my system for a long time which resulted in issues for various opengl programs etc etc.

Ok, I purged oibaf and changed from fgrlx to xorg, I don't know how to completely remove the fglrx (or what you mean with that), I restarted just in case and ran repository->update->dist-upgrade restarted, the version string is still at 3.0, but the core version string is at 3.3 and OBS launch.

I'll like to now what you mean by removing everything of fgrlx, and I'm glad I can use the open source one. About that "one command line" I'm not sure if (after starting changing the drivers, in a wrong way I'll asum) it ever happened, I do believe that maybe the boot got slower (and the boot on fgrlx is longer and different), I do had a black screen-no boot problems when I tried to install the AMD ones (a time ago) but not so long ago I was able to do it succesfully, but I uninstalled 'em.

Do you think I just let this like it is? I do prefer the open source (the one I'm using now) over the other, what I mean is, do I have to remove or purge anything fglrx related just in case? or do something about it?

Again... thank you for your help, I didn't thought I was going to be able to use OBS on Linux.

if you uninstalled the fglrx driver, and then re-enabled the oibaf ppa so you got updated mesa/opengl libraries and OBS is working than all should be ok.

Sebamontor1

if you uninstalled the fglrx driver, and then re-enabled the oibaf ppa so you got updated mesa/opengl libraries and OBS is working than all should be ok.

Well, I changed the drivers from the GUI interface on Configuration/Software & Updates...

I do seem to be dropping some fps when I wasn't with the other driver, but maybe is just for the moment or the current configuration.

Well, I changed the drivers from the GUI interface on Configuration/Software & Updates...

I do seem to be dropping some fps when I wasn't with the other driver, but maybe is just for the moment or the current configuration.
the open source driver is no where near the performance capabilities of fglrx so I wouldn't be surprised you're dropping frames. are you absolutely positive you're running the oibaf ppa version of the radeon driver? i think it's even called radeonsi vs radeon.

Sebamontor1

the open source driver is no where near the performance capabilities of fglrx so I wouldn't be surprised you're dropping frames. are you absolutely positive you're running the oibaf ppa version of the radeon driver? i think it's even called radeonsi vs radeon.

When I'm running the fgrlx driver I get lower FPS on CS:GO (Steam) and TF2 won't open, I do believe that when using the fgrlx driver I didn't had fps drop on OBS while streaming, from my experience, the open source has been better than fgrlx (fgrlx also has some minor issues like for some reason (I'm running dual monitor setup) in the second monitor the icons bar is a little cropped).

No, I'm not sure about the oibaf ppa version, what do you mean?

When I had fglrx the OpenGL version was 4.3 or something like that, with the open source it show 3.0 and in the "core version string" case says 3.3