Tablet screen -- other external source for OBS?

K. Miklós

It is possible to use a tablet screen like a new source for OBS? I use 2 cams + monitors for teaching, and I have o tablet with S-Pen.

Lawrence_SoCal

a tablet screen is a viewing (not source) device [and the technicality of that distinction is important]
Now the video output content of the tablet, as shown on the screen, can be sent to another device. This has nothing to do with OBS. And such solutions exist already

Getting the video output of a tablet onto an OBS Studio computer depends on operating system of tablet, and hardware design of tablet
- for example, is there an option to connect a cable and get HDMI output from the tablet? some (most current models?) can.. in which case you could then combine with a HDMI capture device
- or there are screen 'casting' options in Android and iOS to send screen to another device (typically wirelessly, but could also be via USB Ethernet adapter in some cases)
- and then there are apps (NDI and others) that can take a mobile device screen output and transmit to a software receiver on a PC.

*if* you are asking about taking a tablet, USB connecting to a computer, and seeing tablet (or phone) content on the computer, that would be up to the mobile device to allow routing of the video signal in such a manner (again, nothing to do with OBS Studio).
There is NOT an industry standard way, that I'm aware of, for Android and iOS (or any of the other minor mobile OS players) to send video output intended for (or in addition to) local device screen to another device [other than USB/Lightning to HMDI output adapters.. I'm referring to a native USB or WiFi approach. Video output over USB is possible, but there are technical complications that mean vendors have had good reason to pursue other approaches instead]

As such, nothing 'standardized' for OBS Studio to receive. Now, iOS has AirPlay/screen mirroring and Android has similar, which software can be configured to receive.... however; OBS Studio is Free, Open-Source Software, and iOS at least would be a licensed (pay to play) solution [I gave up on Android a few years ago, so not sure about latest version native capabilities in this regard]. So, I wouldn't expect OBS Studio to implement such a receiver/source solution (for similar reason as not natively supporting being a NDI receiver) but that doesn't mean someone can't create a plugin or local OS receiver solution, which then OBS Studio could capture (again, like NDI)

anyway, my $0.02/thoughts on your post

ottawafro

It is possible to use a tablet screen like a new source for OBS? I use 2 cams + monitors for teaching, and I have o tablet with S-Pen.
I set this up with mine. Look to use a whiteboard script too...for it so can draw on screen on a projector preview

K. Miklós

a tablet screen is a viewing (not source) device [and the technicality of that distinction is important]
Now the video output content of the tablet, as shown on the screen, can be sent to another device. This has nothing to do with OBS. And such solutions exist already

Getting the video output of a tablet onto an OBS Studio computer depends on operating system of tablet, and hardware design of tablet
- for example, is there an option to connect a cable and get HDMI output from the tablet? some (most current models?) can.. in which case you could then combine with a HDMI capture device
- or there are screen 'casting' options in Android and iOS to send screen to another device (typically wirelessly, but could also be via USB Ethernet adapter in some cases)
- and then there are apps (NDI and others) that can take a mobile device screen output and transmit to a software receiver on a PC.

*if* you are asking about taking a tablet, USB connecting to a computer, and seeing tablet (or phone) content on the computer, that would be up to the mobile device to allow routing of the video signal in such a manner (again, nothing to do with OBS Studio).
There is NOT an industry standard way, that I'm aware of, for Android and iOS (or any of the other minor mobile OS players) to send video output intended for (or in addition to) local device screen to another device [other than USB/Lightning to HMDI output adapters.. I'm referring to a native USB or WiFi approach. Video output over USB is possible, but there are technical complications that mean vendors have had good reason to pursue other approaches instead]

As such, nothing 'standardized' for OBS Studio to receive. Now, iOS has AirPlay/screen mirroring and Android has similar, which software can be configured to receive.... however; OBS Studio is Free, Open-Source Software, and iOS at least would be a licensed (pay to play) solution [I gave up on Android a few years ago, so not sure about latest version native capabilities in this regard]. So, I wouldn't expect OBS Studio to implement such a receiver/source solution (for similar reason as not natively supporting being a NDI receiver) but that doesn't mean someone can't create a plugin or local OS receiver solution, which then OBS Studio could capture (again, like NDI)

anyway, my $0.02/thoughts on your post
Thanks for your answer

Lawrence_SoCal

Since I originally posted (above) I've come across a number of recent Android Tablets that have enabled video over USB-C to drive an external monitor (or could be connected to OBS Studio computer to be used as a video source (input)).