Question / Help Suggestion Thread: 2 PC Streaming Setup

suicidetree

Sup OBS Community

As I considered in my previous post viewtopic.php?p=60396#p60396 I'm planning to build up a dedicated Streaming PC to provide a better looking stream with higher presets. I also want to stream some PS4 gameplay in the future.

Maybe you guys can give me some tips about that project.

My streaming PC setup will be:

• System: Shuttle SH67H3 (USB 3.0, LGA 1155, HDMI)
    CPU: CPU INTEL Core i7-3770K
    Memory: 16 GB RAM KINGSTON HyperX Blu KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G
    HDD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro
    Capture Card: AverMedia Live Gamer HD

I'm familiar with the setup process itself, but the most important questions are:

• - How do I get the sound from my gaming PC to the streaming PC?
    - How can I exlude the Teamspeak3 sound from the stream? (Now I'm doing it with VAC)

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards, suicidetree

Tak0r

The Sound will be transported through the hdmi connection.
If you send your ts stripped vac channel though your hdmi it shoud be fine or use a Seperate mic connected to the streaming pc. You won't even need the ugly VAC setup.

FerretBomb

Yep, VAC on the gaming PC. Your primary/game audio output plus your microphone audio will be mixed and sent out over the HDMI port, and you can send a secondary mixed (TS included) to the speaker-outs on the gaming PC. Down side, you will no longer be able to set the mic levels on OBS separately, not be able to use an audio delay to sync your webcam (if applicable) with your voice.

Alternately, run VAC and TS3 on the encoding machine. Game audio will come in over the HDMI port from the gaming PC. You use VAC (as you do now) to exclude any TS3 audio from the stream, while also allowing OBS to hook your microphone to capture your voice. Down side, you will not be able to use any in-game VoIP/voice-comm systems without running a second mic.

suicidetree

FerretBomb said:
Yep, VAC on the gaming PC. Your primary/game audio output plus your microphone audio will be mixed and sent out over the HDMI port, and you can send a secondary mixed (TS included) to the speaker-outs on the gaming PC. Down side, you will no longer be able to set the mic levels on OBS separately, not be able to use an audio delay to sync your webcam (if applicable) with your voice.

I guess that would be the solution I'm looking for - All I want to share with my viewers is the Gamesound, that's it! So I'm going to "exclude" the TS3 sound as I have right now with VAC on my Gaming- PC, right?

FerretBomb

Yep. If you're using voice activation on TS3, if I were in your shoes I'd run TS3 on my encoding machine to help simplify things. If you use 'send directly to stream' from the capture card, you can probably just not bother with VAC on the encoding machine, and just leave the system audio muted (not sure if this mutes sources set to play directly to the stream or not). If so, it might also allow you the flexibility to just unmute if you DO want to include the Teamspeak audio on the stream, some nights.

suicidetree

Hm, nah I don't think it will simplify things if I use TS3 on my streaming PC, because everytime I'm gonna switch the channel I need to connect via RDP first - that kinda sux.

What I want is quite simple:

Gaming PC with Gamesound/Teamspeak3 (hearable just for myself)

Streaming PC Gamesound only

As I can see, the only way to get this is via VAC.

suicidetree

Update:

Well I ran into some issues with my new streaming server.

Last week I got my new Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card, I installed the card with the latest drivers from the BMD website; so far so good, everything seems okay - but yeah, It's not that easy as I thought...

Here you can see a layout of my installation:

streaming_layout1vgssw.jpg

With this setup, I should see the image of Monitor 1 on my streaming PC (OBS) - but all I get is a black screen. After 2 hours of trial and error, I got a terrible looking image on OBS and Monitor 1 switched to 30Hz wich is quite unusable.

Maybe you guys can give me some hints to get this thing working. It should be possible to run Monitor 1 at 1920x1080@60Hz while sharing the image with the Blackmagic card.

Thank you!

FerretBomb

And most that will accept 1080@60 input will only actually capture at 30fps (like that Avermedia you listed in your initial build).

Not really a problem, as NO ONE streaming to Twitch should be sending 1080@60 anyway; 3500kbps, the max bitrate Twitch currently wants to see from an ingest, is nowhere NEAR enough to run 1080@60, even if some people wank over the stats and make their stream look like crap as a result, INSISTING on running at 1080@60fps. (3500 is just-enough for 1080@30 to look decent.)

Boildown

Why'd you get the Intensity Pro? Originally you were talking about the Avermedia Live Gamer HD, which would do what you want.

Secondly, I just use the Clone display feature to send my output to both my game monitor and my capture card. No need to mess with an HDMI splitter. At worst you may need an passive HDMI / DVI adapter, if your monitors don't have flexible inputs, but almost all monitors support both HDMI and DVI inputs, so that shouldn't be a problem.

suicidetree

FerretBomb said:
And most that will accept 1080@60 input will only actually capture at 30fps (like that Avermedia you listed in your initial build).
I don't want to stream at 1080@60, my stream should be 720@60. The problem I have is the "blackscreen"; I don't get any signal with my current configuration; I think I should get rid of this HDMI splitter tho...

Boildown said:
Why'd you get the Intensity Pro? Originally you were talking about the Avermedia Live Gamer HD, which would do what you want.
Got the Blackmagic since the AverMedia is very hard to get in switzerland.

So how do I connect the Blackmagic properly without a splitter?

GPU -> HDMI -> Blackmagic
GPU -> DVI -> Monitor1 @ 1920x1080 60Hz

Clone Display with Monitor1 & Blackmagic.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
That would be the setup yes, but it will probably not work.

Big problem of the intensity: it can only input 1080i60 or p30
You will get problems if you try to input 1080p60 (normal PC or PS4 output) into that card. And streaming 720p60 will not be possible. That would only be possible with the Live Gamer HD.

Only option to do 720p60 would be to input that into your Intensity and in that case also to your monitor to clone it. I am not sure if you can set the ps4 to 720p output for everything but that would be necessary then as well.

If you can, return the BlackMagic ;)

suicidetree

Jack0r said:
That would be the setup yes, but it will probably not work.

Big problem of the intensity: it can only input 1080i60 or p30
You will get problems if you try to input 1080p60 (normal PC or PS4 output) into that card. And streaming 720p60 will not be possible. That would only be possible with the Live Gamer HD.

Only option to do 720p60 would be to input that into your Intensity and in that case also to your monitor to clone it. I am not sure if you can set the ps4 to 720p output for everything but that would be necessary then as well.

If you can, return the BlackMagic ;)
U'r right, I'll drop that sh*t! Thank you for your answer Jack0r!

Dazztee

Streaming monitor 1 in your diagram, shouldnt be plugged into the splitter, it should be plugged into the streaming pc and your streaming software installed onto stream pc, then software set to capture video source from blackmagic card, OBS is better choice for software, and avermedia would be better choice for capture card

if your using nvidia graphics you dont need a splitter, you can clone main monitor signal to capture card through hdmi, it works great