[Suggestion] Stream Destination

GameMechanic

It says to not duplicate suggestions, but to my surprised I couldn't find this. I figured it would be a very popular request. Regardless, I have spoken with many of my fellow streamers and we are all in a unanimous agreement that this change is necessary. In addition to (not instead of) Profiles, Scene Collections, and individual Scenes, there needs to be a Stream Destination.

Reason (Problem)
Currently, your stream information is baked in to your Profile which is incredibly irritating when you don't duplicate the rest of the settings within your profile across all profiles. For example, I sometimes use hardware capture and sometimes software capture depending on if I'm streaming a PC game or a console game.

Even if a streamer is not using a hardware vs software capture solution, we all know that some games require different profile settings than other games to properly stream or to ensure maximum quality. When you create a new profile just to change the x264 settings, MS delay, or other related technical changes, you typically don't intend to use a totally different stream key, but the stream key is baked in to each profile you create.

This means if your stream key changes, you will be required to change it across multiple profiles unnecessarily - even though the profiles themselves are fine, the stream key is baked in to the profile when it shouldn't be making this process cumbersome and annoying.

When someone actually does multiple profiles for capturing and has multiple streams they often stream to, the amount of unnecessary profiles grows exponentially and keeping up with them is a complete nightmare. To make things worse, there is absolutely no method for identifying to which stream a key belongs and it is hidden behind password stars so a manual check isn't possible. Instead you have to re-acquire your stream key to verify you are using the correct one. As a result, it is very common to accidentally stream to the incorrect stream, or attempt to begin streaming only to find you have an outdated stream key.

Solution
The solution is simple. Remove the "Broadcast Settings" option within settings and mitigate that to a new "Stream Destination" menu within OBS.

Each stream destination would be set up like a scene/source, and you can specify before going live to which stream destination you intend to stream. I suggest adding the "Stream Destination" as a selection box to the right of "Start Streaming" "Start Recording", etc. If it is not possible to stream to multiple streams at once, make it so that only one can be selected like what is seen in the "Scenes:" box to the left, or if multiple destinations are possible, make it a checkbox selection like what is seen in the "Sources:" box to the left. (while on the subject, streaming output to multiple streams at once would be absolutely amazing, but that isn't necessary to add this functionality)

Oðinn

this seems like a pretty handy thing to add, i had the problem of streaming on the wrong channel exidently

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
For OBS-MP we will probably have a different system of saving profiles and settings. As this is not a very high priority thing there was probably no time to add it yet. And the work on the original OBS has slowed down because of the rewrite.

GameMechanic

OK, so the rewrite has been released. Can this now be looked into as a possibility? I was halfway expecting it to be a part of the rewrite, it just seems so obvious.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
There are lots of things that are obvious improvements, but it's largely a matter of priority and people being available to work on things like this.