[SUGGESTION] Edit Scene default to ON

FerretBomb

Just a suggestion as it seems to be a regularly-asked question on the Q&H forum, as well as when I'm streaming and if people PM me for OBS help... would it be possible to default 'Edit Scene' to ON?

Seems to be the #1 thing that turns a lot of people off of OBS, they don't bother to read the buttons so just assume that stuff can't be moved/scaled/etc interactively. Defaulting it to ON would allow these people to edit as they expect it to work, while advanced users could click it off to protect their scene from unintentional edits/changes.

Alternately, it could be turned into a check-box under the preview (defaulting to un-ticked) 'Prevent Scene Editing'. Would also free up a button-spot to get the quick Dashboard link back, after the addition of Record took its slot.

UberDragon

I thought about the same thing actually, why not rename the button to "Lock scene"/"Unlock scene", that should be more clear. A checkbox would work too, just not sure how it would look if used in the current layout.

When going for the button option, you could also change the text color depending on the state (thats more easy to see than the button pressed state). Red when locked, green when in editing mode

UberDragon

dodgepong said:
In the rewrite, the preview will be on by default.
I do know about that change, and support it, but we're speaking of the edit scene button that prevents the user from moving sources around and free scaling them on the stage while in preview/stream mode

Or do you mean such a button does no longer exist in the rewrite? I can't really see a reason to get rid of it.

Krazy

Town drunk
In the rewrite, there will be a preview scene and a live scene, you push preview to live.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Krazy said:
In the rewrite, there will be a preview scene and a live scene, you push preview to live.
Well, that will be the case in the "Producer" view, but not the normal view. The normal view will be much like OBS is now.

FerretBomb

Eh, 'Lock Scene' sounds more like it'd prevent the scene from being switched.

Again, this is a temporary workaround. Selecting a different initial state for the Edit Scene button seems like it'd be a pretty minor tweak, and result in fixing a pretty major adoption problem. I've heard from a LOT of people, again, that they tried OBS but they switched back to XSplit because 'you can't position stuff where you want'. Again, PEBCAK. But defaulting Edit to ON would have greatly increased the likelihood of their using OBS instead. At this point for them it's a 'damage done' as they've already settled into using XSplit. But switching this to ON would almost definitely increase the number who stick with OBS.

The checkbox was just an alternate (more understandable) method that would make the functionality more obvious.

Again, we are NOT talking about having the Preview enabled by default (but it seems like that'd be a pretty simple change to perform in-the-meantime too). This is about the EDIT SCENE button defaulting to on.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Ah, yes, my mistake. I'm not sure why I translated "Edit" into "Preview". I guess in my mind, in order to edit, you have to be previewing first. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the rewrite will have the ability to edit on by default, as well. As for the current version of OBS, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, or if that's something that Jim wants done.