Suggestion: Deinterlacing?

Joe33345

I have alot of lagspike.tv members that work on easycaps or dazzles that can't use OBS because they either can't drop their picture or they have interlaced picture :(

Joe33345

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
There is a need for a deinterlacing shader of some sort. What device is this for?

funkdoc

Seconding this, it's the most significant remaining hurdle for me with this otherwise fantastic program. This is especially big since ~90% of Speed Demos Archive and Speedrunslive streamers use a Dazzle or EasyCap!

paibox

heros in an halfshel
I'd love a deinterlacing shader of some sort as well.

Something that would be especially awesome would be if it did field separation (since most capture cards just pass through the interlaced fields, for instance from a 480i source, as a single full size frame) with optional scanline doubling in place of deinterlacing for low resolution sources, such as the NES and many games for other older consoles.

funkdoc

There actually is a way to get deinterlaced video from a capture card with OBS, and in 60 FPS no less! Here's what you can do:

1. Download AmarecTV 2.20c from this link: http://cgi.geocities.jp/amarectv/cgi-bi ... tv220c.zip

2. In Amarec's config: Graph 1 settings should be pretty self-explanatory aside from a couple things; set the capture card's audio input to (Link), and use Master Volume for your audio capture device's volume. Under Graph 2 (Preview), set Deinterlacing to "Auto select", Function to anything except "HW Deinterlacing" (Retro Game is obv best for 8/16-bit stuff), and Scan Line Doubler to "Auto". I would also recommend using a custom aspect ratio of 3:2 if you're using a 720x480 capture card (which Dazzle and EasyCap both are). Under the Live graph, check the box to enable Live and set FPS to 30 (or 60 if you desire). The Live resolution should also match your capture card's, and the audio quality should match that of all other programs involved in your stream.

3. In OBS, add a video capture device and select Amarec Video Capture (Amarec must be open to use this, btw). Set its size/position in your stream, and you should be good to go! Earlier versions of Amarec cannot stream or record legitimate 60 FPS, so I linked 2.20c just in case anyone might be interested in trying that.

If this helps anyone, give your thanks to Omnigamer! He's the one who figured all this out. And obviously deinterlacing options in OBS would be nice, but I figured this was still worth posting. =)

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Ah yes, I'm aware of the AmarecTV workaround, I have been playing around with it a bit!

On a side note, the AmarecTV Live throughput does not work properly in Windows 8, you have to set the Amarec Live output frame rate to twice what you want, if you set it to 120 frames per second, you get the full 60, this may have been the issue in versions prior to 2.20c on other versions of Windows as well.

But yes, it would be awesome to have deinterlacing and/or scanline doubling natively in OBS, since the latency for the DirectShow capture source within the OBS window is actually low enough to play the game in that while streaming it. :)

Joe33345

AmarecTV for now would definitely be a good substitute for Deinterlacing with the Live Output. I've used AmarecTV for a while now actually so I would recommend it if you were on a pretty good PC and can handle having both Amarec and OBS opened together.

AmarecTV's website states that they're working on the program as we speak and there will be a new release, v2.31, in January of 2013 so... maybe better Win 8 support in the next version? :-)

stelzig

Is there a way to use amarec's live option without recording? Amarec desynchs sound for me for some reason, so I don't really have any interest in the recording itself.

atmuh

I've used AmaRec in the past but for some reason in OBS it doesn't seem to be showing up when I go to add video capture device. I've tried the live plugin with other programs and it works fine. Does anyone know why?

bmn

stelzig said:
Is there a way to use amarec's live option without recording? Amarec desynchs sound for me for some reason, so I don't really have any interest in the recording itself.

Yes. I'm not sure if you still have to run the live installer in Amarec's Program Files directory, but when you've installed it it will enable live whenever Amarec is open.

atmuh said:
I've used AmaRec in the past but for some reason in OBS it doesn't seem to be showing up when I go to add video capture device. I've tried the live plugin with other programs and it works fine. Does anyone know why?

As Muf suggested, Amarec live only works on 32-bit apps, so you can't use OBS 64-bit.

Joe33345

AmarecTV pops up as it's own Capture Device when it's used in OBS. So using it in either 32bit or 64bit shouldn't matter. When you open AmarecTV before OBS, make sure you set your settings right under 'Config --> Graph 3 (Live)' so your video shows up. If there are no options under the Live tab on AmarecTV then make sure you installed the live_setup115b_en.exe installer that's in your AmarecTV folder.

When you have everything configured right and have 'Live' check marked in AmarecTV then the picture should show up in OBS without a problem.

EDIT: yea. apparently AmarecTV's output only supports 32bit so the previous poster was right. 32bit only :(

stelzig

bmn said:
Yes. I'm not sure if you still have to run the live installer in Amarec's Program Files directory, but when you've installed it it will enable live whenever Amarec is open.
Yeah, thanks I found out myself too. Amarec didn't deinterlace it for me though, even though I turned it on =/