[Suggestion] Auto Crop + Snap to Aspect Ratio

Anonanon

To give a context to these suggestions, these two things will help with the streaming of standard definition consoles such as PS2. Since games for consoles such as PS2 all render in different resolutions at different positions, one OBS scene configuration is not enough for this console. I could crop my PS2 frame perfectly to Gran Turismo, but Need For Speed in the same configuration would be showing a lot of extra black bars and so on.

Auto Crop
OBS will use a detection algorithm, detect all black border space and crop as tightly as possible to it until there is gray or color. Should be bindable to key. The color to detect should also be customizable by using "Use Color Key". Could also have a "Tolerance 1-100" function to have wiggle room with detection on fuzzy edges.

Auto Snap to Aspect Ratio
After you auto crop to get rid of as much empty black borders as possible, I want to stretch the result to exactly 720x480 on my 852x480 scene. That 720x480 is just value preset I saved. Perhaps I have 640x480 and 852x480 saved as well in my saved list. Let's say I accidentally tampered with the sizing manually in edit scene with mouse dragging, I can just right click on my object and click "resize to... > 640x480" and OBS will automatically snap it to that exact 4:3 fit.

I know the team is busy on OBS Studio, but these two features is something very important to consider. As of right now, I have to go into edit scene, hold alt and pull handles to manually crop my PS2 image down to a squinted pixel. It is so annoying especially when it's only effective per game.

ThoNohT

Developer
Auto crop is something we did discuss while we created cropping in the first place. Then it was decided that that was too complicated to do. For it requires some intelligent image processing. This is definitely not a priority, but as always, everyone is free to come and pitch in there and attempt it, or even point in the direction of an algorithm that can do this.

Auto snap to aspect ratio is unclear to me. Snapping is what a source does when you move it close to an edge and it won't move away unless you drag it far enough. What you are describing is preset resizing. But you're naming resolutions and aspect ratios interchangeably. So what if you have some source that itself has an aspect ratio of 4:2.7, and you tell it to resize to 640x480 (4:3). What would it do, stretch out to actually become that aspect ratio (ugly), use the largest size possible such that it fits in a 640x480 box, use the smallest size such that a 640x480 box fits in it, match the heights, match the widths or use some kind of average?

For this feature, I suggest you wait for obs-studio, at which time you will have pixel precision resizing, by just entering the numbers for the dimensions. Then tricks like this won't be necessary.

Anonanon

ThoNohT said:
Auto crop
That's unfortunate but thanks for filling in on this.

ThoNohT said:
Yeah my bad on bad use of terminology. Precise resizing or more powerful resizing functionality is really what I want. Being able to input dimensions manually or picking from a preset is good. And yes it applies to both pixel dimensions and aspect ratios. Maintaining the source's aspect ratio should also be an option to avoid ugliness unless it's intentional (like stretching a 640x480 SDTV game to 720x480). Without getting too confused with details, I'm just glad there's some attention paid to this in OBS Studio. I'm looking forward to it.