Question / Help Suddenly I'm getting Encoding Overloaded, but it's been fine for a week!

Dave McKane

While in recording mode, all of sudden today OBS has starting making the laptop run hot, even when not recording. And when I do record I get the message in the bottom left of the screen that Encoding is Overloaded. Even though I haven’t changed anything. When I do manage to get a recording then the video is jumpy or frozen.

I'm on a Touchpad MacBook Pro, 13in, Mid-2017, 16gb Ram, 190gb free on internal SSD

Attachments

• 2017-09-22 19-01-36.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 14

Narcogen

You're getting encoding lag. You either need to switch to a faster CPU preset, higher bandwidth, a smaller framesize, or a combination of the above.

19:02:55.843: Output 'adv_ffmpeg_output': Total drawn frames: 1528 (1866 attempted)
19:02:55.843: Output 'adv_ffmpeg_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 338 (18.1%)
19:02:55.850: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 229/1522 (15.0%)​

Dave McKane

Thank you!!! I'm a complete noob to this, so forgive my ignorance. need the frame size as I need to output hi-def training courses. What are the faster CPU presets? And how do I change the bandwidth, and to what amount would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Narcogen

CPU Preset: Settings > Output
Output Mode: Advanced

Streaming:

Rescale Output: Choose output resolution. If you have to use 1080p then you'll probably need at least 3500 or higher for bitrate and the Ultrafast CPU preset.

Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: XXXX

CPU Usage Preset: Ultrafast/Superfast/Veryfast

Correct bandwidth depends on where you are streaming from, how fast your provider is, and where you are streaming to. Experiment with values between 3000 and 6000.