Question / Help Stuttering issues with OBS while recording/streaming

thydney1970

I have a performance problems with strong stutters as soon as I use my VR glasses and want to stream or record with OBS. I assume that, I have a high-end system with a GTX 1080 ti 11G graphics card, 32GB DDR4 RAM and SSD's, that under these circumstances there are simply too many active screens. I have a 4K monitor as main screen and OBS runs on my second screen in 1440p. For reasons of general handling, I have activated the option Mirroring for VR in Steam, so that VR view is additionally mirrored/displayed on screen 1 and that I can make settings (Racesims) without VR glasses. If I simultaneously record the gaming (VR view or game stream) via monitor 2 with OBS, I have a further, third ingame display which definitely causes the stutters despite GTX 1080ti 11G. Even with low res recording settings. As soon as I switch off OBS, everything runs smoothly.

So my question is, how can I turn off the recording display in OBS so that after I set the recording settings, OBS just records?

I would be very grateful for tips and solutions and I'm looking forward to hearing them. Thank you very much.

Narcogen

You can right click OBS' preview window to disable the video preview. You can also minimize OBS completely, and either control it with hotkeys or from a web browser on a separate device using the websocket plugin.

thydney1970

Thanks a lot for the info and I didn't know that there is a browser plug in available. I will try first to record everything with disabled preview of my record, maybe this is the solution already. do you have experience with recording whilst playing in VR and mirroring to the main screen?

Where do I find the plug in and is there a guide somewhere available to? Sounds very interesting if I could manage the recording procedure via browser on my Mac Book and with Chrome browser.

Would be great to hear from you again and tha

You can right click OBS' preview window to disable the video preview. You can also minimize OBS completely, and either control it with hotkeys or from a web browser on a separate device using the websocket plugin.

Narcogen

Follow-up:

1) afraid not, I don't have any VR equipment;
2) OBS websocket is at the link I pasted.