Question / Help Streaming to Facebook live server failed to connect

Emarie

I use OBS to stream our churches service on FB live and for the past 3 weeks I've been getting a "failed to connect to server" message.

Our church is running a mac mini OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

I've tried resetting the stream key, using custom streaming, doing that and changing the port number in the url.

For the past year we've been streaming fine but since mid Jan it hasn't worked.

I need to let our church supervisors know what can be done. Im pretty sure the OBS system is updated and I don't know how to check the firewalls but assuming since it worked before its not that.
I can't upload the log file since I'm not on that computer (and taking a picture is too large to upload)
And we're running on wifi if that helps.
If anyone can help to see what else we can try to do to make it work? Thanks.

Narcogen

Pretty much need a logfile to help.

Latest OBS requires 10.11+ so you should not be using the latest on 10.10.

However, OBS has not changed in any way that would affect this in particular. Troubleshoot your local network (network adapter, hubs/switches, router) and then contact your ISP.

Streaming on wireless is never recommended, as many things can affect it negatively.

macobs

In OBS Settings under advanced make sure that the network bind to interface has the correct IP address selected.

Emarie

Pretty much need a logfile to help.

Latest OBS requires 10.11+ so you should not be using the latest on 10.10.

However, OBS has not changed in any way that would affect this in particular. Troubleshoot your local network (network adapter, hubs/switches, router) and then contact your ISP.

Streaming on wireless is never recommended, as many things can affect it negatively.
Here are the log files from last week.
Also Bind to IP is set at default.

Attachments

• 2020-02-02-09-00-10.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 2020-02-02-09-00-27.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2020-02-02-09-13-42.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 56

Narcogen

Your problem is that your version of OBS does not support RTMPS streaming on a secure connection, and Facebook recently disabled the ability to stream to them on an insecure connection.

09:18:33.293: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
09:18:33.348: RTMP_Connect1, no SSL/TLS support
09:18:33.356: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connection to rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -2

Facebook is telling OBS that in order to stream to it, it needs to use a secure (RTMPS) connection. But OBS 18.0.1 does not have this feature, so the connection fails.

In the past, Facebook would have requested a secure connection, but allowed you to connect insecurely if it failed. Now they do not. This change was scheduled to be made in May 2019; I don't know if they delayed it until more recently or not. I don't stream to Facebook regularly myself, but even when I do, it's with a more recent version of OBS.

You need to update OBS in order to gain this feature, but you *may* need to upgrade your version of MacOS in order to do this. I think you may need to upgrade to at least version 22 in order to gain this feature.

If your machine can handle Sierra you might try that. There's not much reason when using OBS to currently upgrade past High Sierra, as you will actually lose access to some features by doing so. v22 may also run on El Cap (10.11).