Question / Help Streaming to a video output?

xmanmonk

New to OBS. I'm wondering if it's possible to stream to another monitor on the same machine, or another screen (i.e. without using a streaming service)? Or perhaps a cast device, like Chrome Cast? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xmanmonk

Yes, first of all, thanks Therealbeef, for the reply. In essence, I produce fairly short video presentations for a local group here. I usually produce the video with a video editor, but there are times when it would be better to do it live.

Normally (with the pre-recorded stuff I do), my machine has an hdmi output that goes to a projection system here. On my system (Linux Mint), I have the video set up as a separate monitor that is, spatially speaking, to the right of my regular desktop. I run something like VLC with the output window in full screen on the second monitor (which is the projection system).

I would like to either use something like that setup, or even a Google ChromeCast device to the same system. I'm wondering if there's a way in OBS to send the output to another monitor. That would be ideal. Thanks!

Mike P

Yeah that would be amazing to have. I read a post from OBS classic that suggested it would be coming soon (*from 2014) before I realized I was in the wrong forum. Being able to stream to a local desktop media player / 2nd window in full screen would be useful for my school's morning announcements. The students could then quickly and easily overlay the OBS video modules on top of their morning announcements from an iMac or PC.

Loving the software for streaming to twitch though. I just set up an account on Friday and had only a few minor bugs before I figured out that I needed to increase my processor handling. Looking forward to seeing local desktop / window / media play streaming in the near future too!
-mp

Mike P

Thinking about it some more, all you would really need to do is to set the Studio Mode to have an option to display the "live" in full screen on another window. Then you would essentially have 2 live screens. One on OBS and the other you could drag to wherever you wanted. That's really all we would need.