Streaming quality is very grainy and blurred with movement, need help!

Kapone86

PC specs:
Ryzen 9 3900X
RTX 2070
16 gigs RAM

Speedtest.net shows:
50-60mbps down
5-6mbps up

Using OBS live:
X264 encoder
Processor priority set to high
Processor usage set to medium
Bitrate set to 5500
Output scaled to 720p at 60fps(would prefer 1080p at 60fps)
Streaming to twitch

Stream looks grainy, blurred when moving quick and sometimes the stream will go all gray and pixelated and then come back to normal. Cant seem to figure out all the correct settings and I know my PC is powerful enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Fitey

you should definitely be able to record at 1080p and maybe even 1440p with those specs

turn up the bitrate (try going up by 500 or 1000) until you get the best possible and if your video randomly freezes then turn the bitrate down

Kapone86

you should definitely be able to record at 1080p and maybe even 1440p with those specs

turn up the bitrate (try going up by 500 or 1000) until you get the best possible and if your video randomly freezes then turn the bitrate down

I had it set to 6000 at one point and it did randomly freeze so I turned it back down

Kapone86

ohok

try using the NVENC encoder and turning up the bitrate

I wanted to do that but my processor is much more powerful for encoding than my GPU is in my opinion, the Ryzen 9 3900X is one of the best for streaming. I think my problem lies within having 5-6mbps upload speeds. I dont think that is good enough for streaming at 1080p 60fps. So I'm going to try to lower my processor setting to fast or medium instead of veryfast(default) and sticking with 720p 60fps

Fitey

I wanted to do that but my processor is much more powerful for encoding than my GPU is in my opinion, the Ryzen 9 3900X is one of the best for streaming. I think my problem lies within having 5-6mbps upload speeds. I dont think that is good enough for streaming at 1080p 60fps. So I'm going to try to lower my processor setting to fast or medium instead of veryfast(default) and sticking with 720p 60fps
ok, the only thing left is using ethernet if you can

Youtube and Twitch has some recommendations for what bitrate to use for different resolutions and different framerates but idk where they are so you can check that as well

Kapone86

ok, the only thing left is using ethernet if you can

Youtube and Twitch has some recommendations for what bitrate to use for different resolutions and different framerates but idk where they are so you can check that as well

Ok thank you, will look more into what I should be using, as far as ethernet I am using these wireless ethernet adapters, which doubled my speed from wifi connection I previously was using. I'm attaching file now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200701-114841_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200701-114841_Google.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 31

Kapone86

I think I'm going to go buy a 50 foot ethernet cord and see if that makes a difference as well. It should.

Fitey

I think I'm going to go buy a 50 foot ethernet cord and see if that makes a difference as well. It should.
yep

I'm able to use a bitrate of 15000 with an upload speed of 11-12 Mbps with wifi so with ethernet you should definitely be able to use a much higher bitrate

Kapone86

yep

I'm able to use a bitrate of 15000 with an upload speed of 11-12 Mbps with wifi so with ethernet you should definitely be able to use a much higher bitrate

I just upgraded my upload speeds to 35mbps, is there any downfall to setting my bitrate up higher? Like is there a too high mark?

Fitey

I just upgraded my upload speeds to 35mbps, is there any downfall to setting my bitrate up higher? Like is there a too high mark?
if it's too high (like 50000 or something but it might be higher or lower for your internet speed), your video will look like a slideshow and your internet will slow down like mad so you shouldn't need a bitrate higher than around 20000 but that's just from my experience so use whatever is best for you

Kapone86

if it's too high (like 50000 or something but it might be higher or lower for your internet speed), your video will look like a slideshow and your internet will slow down like mad so you shouldn't need a bitrate higher than around 20000 but that's just from my experience so use whatever is best for you

So I just hooked up wired connection and changed bitrate to 5k, now I can stream with output at 1080p and 60fps no problem at all! Ty so much for input

Kapone86

If you dont mind, you can check my stream quality out here (twitch.tv/kapone86) and give me any input on it. I've tinkered with a few things trying to make it better. I may end up getting a capture card soon.

Fitey

If you dont mind, you can check my stream quality out here (twitch.tv/kapone86) and give me any input on it. I've tinkered with a few things trying to make it better. I may end up getting a capture card soon.
from looking at your recent streams compared to your old streams there's a big difference

the 1080p quality makes it look better anyways and there's close to no pixelation so you're good to go

Kapone86

from looking at your recent streams compared to your old streams there's a big difference

the 1080p quality makes it look better anyways and there's close to no pixelation so you're good to go

Thanks, I've noticed the difference myself. Still only using 6000kbps bitrate and fast preset on OBS