Bug Report Streaming parallel to WAN and LAN via Multicast

Gustl

Hi,

we need to stream press conferences to YT and in addition to a local (LAN) Multicast Address for local Displays. The public stream works perfectly and was easy to set-up.

More problematic is the parallel LAN-stream. We found out, this is accomplished via the "Recording" menu and the option stream to URL. We enter here the Multicast-Address and append "?pkt_size=1316" to the IP:port-socket. We are able to view this stream, BUT the quality is low!

We used the same Bitarte as for the Web-Stream (6000 KBit). But either the LAN-stream shows only a black picture or the quality is so bad, that it is inacceptable. When we change the Bitrate (in the Recording menu) to 0, the (LAN-Multicast) stream looks good. No as good as the Web-Stream, but acceptable.

Is this a undocumented feature or is the Web-Stream-Bitrate and the Reording-to-URL-Bitrate somehow coupled?

Thanks

TryHD

You should change your strategie. Stream to a nginx server with rtmp module and let it handle the distribution to Youtube and Multicast.

Gustl

Hi, I have setup a nginx+rtmp server via Docker.

The stream to YT works and internally via Unicast as well.
But I was unable to set-up a Multicast-Stream. Do you have a tutorial or advise? I found nothing via Google.

Is the Syntax in the nginx.conf something??
push rtmp://239.0.0.1...
But what to insert after the Multicast-IP?

Thanks

Gustl

Hi,

I found a solution and wanted to share it for people with the same problem:

As told above, I've installed via Docker the nginx+rtmp container. Unfortunately I was unable to stream with these to a local Multicast group. I've installed on the same server now VLC and VLC reads the stream (from nginx+rtmp container) and sends it out as Multicast stream on the connected VLAN.

The streams goes: Camera -> OBS -> Linux/nginx+rtmp -> 1) to WAN/Youtube 2) to VLC which streams to a local Multicast group.

Maybe not the best out-of-the-box solution, but it works!
If you have found out how to stream directly from Docker (nginx+rtmp) to a Multicast group, please let me know!

For people with smaller networks, I think a unicast stream works as well. In that case you dont need the VLC-to-Multicast-step. The clients connect directly to the nginx+rtmp-server.

And the quality is excellent with this set-up, thanks to TryHD!