Question / Help streaming delay what is wrong?

Peter Madsen

Hello everyone. I have a problem while streaming.

The stream is freezing for people for up to 5-10 seconds and it does it all the time.
but it continues where it stopped
like to keep the delay but I haven't even set an delay for OBS.

My upload speed: http://testmy.net/db/YTeCrzx I do have a 60/60 connection though.. the closest server I could find was UK. But in OBS I use sweden cuz it's closer to me..

here is a few pictures of my OBS settings.

Settings of my pc: gtx 770, 2600K, 16GB ram, SSD and im using 27" BenQ xl2720z monitor.

obs1.PNG
obs2.PNG
obs3.PNG
obs4.PNG

Do you have partnership? If not, and if you don't have transcodes on your channel, it's probably due to the bitrate - the highest most people can deal with without getting buffering tends to be around 2000kb/s.

Peter Madsen

"Do you have partnership? If not, and if you don't have transcodes on your channel" I honestly don't know what you mean. I'm using free OBS and normal twitch account.

And I think I should easily able to use bitrate 2800 with my settings etc?

It's not a matter of what settings your PC can manage, but most people are unable to continually receive the stream at more than 2000kb/s. There's a reason that is suggested as the highest bitrate people without partnership should go to.

And by partnership, I mean on Twitch - as part of that, you get transcodes (the option to watch in lower resolutions).

Peter Madsen

wierd as my friend with worse pc and internet than me are able to use 2500 in bitrates without problems and he does not have any partnership.

I'll test if it works but I guess not.

FerretBomb

Seconded; bitrate is definitely too high for a non-partnered stream. Also make sure that you're not dropping, skipping, or duplicating frames.

The delay is a part of livestreaming with HLS; going from one-to-many is different than a peer-to-peer Skype call or similar, and the tech they're using increases this delay (under the old method, RTMP, it was between 3-6 seconds and people were *still* complaining). It's not instant... there's a lot of work that has to go on, on the back end. So yeah, about the lowest delay currently possible on Twitch is about 12 seconds, but it normally hovers around 30 seconds for most people (and gets over 2 minutes for those with bad connections, or if Twitch is having problems).

Osiris

If you are unpartnered, your viewers will be recieving the stream from San Francisco, so chances are higher that people will be getting buffering. If you are partnered, viewers will always get the stream from a server close to them, so less chance that your viewers will be getting buffering.

Peter Madsen

Seconded; bitrate is definitely too high for a non-partnered stream. Also make sure that you're not dropping, skipping, or duplicating frames.

The delay is a part of livestreaming with HLS; going from one-to-many is different than a peer-to-peer Skype call or similar, and the tech they're using increases this delay (under the old method, RTMP, it was between 3-6 seconds and people were *still* complaining). It's not instant... there's a lot of work that has to go on, on the back end. So yeah, about the lowest delay currently possible on Twitch is about 12 seconds, but it normally hovers around 30 seconds for most people (and gets over 2 minutes for those with bad connections, or if Twitch is having problems).

Problem is for me, that my stream aint working at all, screen keeps going black for others while it's buffering and then it starts the way it stopped. But I'm seriously confused how my friend can use 2500-2800 bitrate without problems while I can't with better pc and internet. With bitrate on 2000 i can see all the pixels and shit, very bad quality if you ask me.

Peter Madsen

If you are unpartnered, your viewers will be recieving the stream from San Francisco, so chances are higher that people will be getting buffering. If you are partnered, viewers will always get the stream from a server close to them, so less chance that your viewers will be getting buffering.

that's stupid as fuck. Since I am not able to become partnered. I guess I'll have to find something else for my streaming needs cuz this is so dumb.

Osiris

If you can get like 80+ or 90+ viewers, the viewers will also get the stream from a server close to them.

FerretBomb

This is apparently misinformation, from what Twitch Staff have said on the Twitch subreddit. It may have been the case previously, but apparently now streams come from the closest to the ingest you're using.

If you can get like 80+ or 90+ viewers, the viewers will also get the stream from a server close to them.
Not necessarily; there's no hard line where it will start populating out to other local delivery nodes... though it definitely is based on demand.

Osiris

No that is not misinformation, you can check it yourself in Chrome, press F12 and go to the network tab, you can see from the server hostname where the stream is being served from. Whenever I watch a stream with only a couple of viewers it says videoX.sfo01.hls.twitch.tv as the hostname and sfo = San Francisco. As soon as they reach a couple dozen viewers and i refresh it says "ams" in the hostname, which is Amsterdam.

This is the reason why unpartnered streamers with only a few viewers complain about their viewers buffering.