Question / Help Streamed game turns black shortly when mouse clicks on secondary monitor

Gunt0r

Hi there,

I have a 3 monitor setup, the middle one is where i play games. OBS is on the second one to the left, and I got a third one to the right.

I have setup OBS Studio to capture monitor 1 as a whole (not only a specific game). However, as soon as the game loses its focus (i.e. i click on any other screen, or even the windows key), my stream turns black for 2 seconds, then the image comes back. My webcam is visible all the time just fine, but monitor1 turns black on stream (not in reality).

How can I solve this?
I can provide a log file later on if necessary, I'm not at home at the moment but would really like to solve this asap.

best regards and thanks to you all in advance!

additional infos, maybe helpful?
Win 10 64bit
main monitor 2560x1440 (i stream @ 720), other monitors 1920x1080 each

koala

This might happen if you play your game fullscreen with a different resolution than the Windows desktop resolution. If the game loses focus, Windows changes to the desktop, thus changes to the desktop resolution. During the switch OBS isn't able to capture the monitor, because the resolution changes and the capture process has to be restarted.

Gunt0r

no, the resolutions are all the same, 2560x1440. on my real monitor nothing odd is happening, but OBS turns black for a moment.

koala

Are you playing the game fullscreen and the game is minimized when it loses focus? Or does the game stay visible on the monitor, regardless of having the focus or not?

Gunt0r

first of all: i accedentaly reported your post on my smartphone, I confused "report" with "reply". my bad, i'm really sorry. :(
(english is not my main language)

@ topic:
the game is in borderless fullscreen, and thus does not minimize when it loses focus. the windows start menu just pops up on top of the game, but OBS turns black.

BUT: in the meantime, i found out that the problem lies in the game (Factorio), not OBS itself. i tried this with other games (for example PUBG) and the problem is gone. super weird, but at least now i know the reason and can deal with it.

rotarypot

first of all: i accedentaly reported your post on my smartphone, I confused "report" with "reply". my bad, i'm really sorry. :(
(english is not my main language)

@ topic:
the game is in borderless fullscreen, and thus does not minimize when it loses focus. the windows start menu just pops up on top of the game, but OBS turns black.

BUT: in the meantime, i found out that the problem lies in the game (Factorio), not OBS itself. i tried this with other games (for example PUBG) and the problem is gone. super weird, but at least now i know the reason and can deal with it.
did you find a fix ?

Gunt0r

did you find a fix ?
the problem is gone, yes. but i don't know if this fix will apply to you as well.

my main monitor is a 144hz gsync monitor, the others are regular 60hz screens - and that caused ALL of the problems. i also got major stuttering, lag and all kind of bad things.

my solution: i connected the two 60hz screens directly to my mainboard (intel graphics from CPU), and only the 144hz to my nvidia card. since then, all problems are gone.

homaaskampie

Hello there,
I have the same problem, every time i click on my screen where my obs is on my stream goes black for a sec and then my displaycapture goes back on... Does anyone here have a fix for this problem?