Stream with 2600 cpu record with gpu?

Xman0824

Hi there. Im new here. Just have a quick question. I have a streaming pc only for my ps5. Was wondering can i stream with my ryzen 2600 cpu and record with my 1650 super at same time?

Thank you in advance. Still learning things.

koala

Should be no problem. If you can stream fine, you can also record directly what is streamed without additional system load. In simple output mode, choose "same as stream" as recording quality. Or in advanced output mode, choose "(use stream encoder)" as encoder for recording. This way the stream data is written to disk as recording.

If you want better quality for recording than for streaming, choose nvenc as encoder for both, so 2 encoding sessions are used, one for stream and one for recording with better settings.

Xman0824

Should be no problem. If you can stream fine, you can also record directly what is streamed without additional system load. In simple output mode, choose "same as stream" as recording quality. Or in advanced output mode, choose "(use stream encoder)" as encoder for recording. This way the stream data is written to disk as recording.

If you want better quality for recording than for streaming, choose nvenc as encoder for both, so 2 encoding sessions are used, one for stream and one for recording with better settings.
Thank you for replying. Although that did lose me for a little bit. Quality wise for both streaming and recording its better to use nvenc on 1650 super? I just thought x264 gave me better quality stream and figured if i did want to record a reply or something while streaming i wouldn't be able to on same cpu without it messing with stream quality itself so figured recording on gpu. Is that wrong? Thanks again for help.
Ryzen 5 2600
Evga 1650 super
16 g ram

koala

The 1650 Super has the same nvenc circuit as RTX 20x0 series, and its quality is between x264 medium and slow preset. There is no perceivable quality difference between this and an even slower x64 preset, which your CPU will probably not support. So there is no reason to use x264 at all, if you can use nvenc. This will also free your CPU for whatever you run in addition on your machine, even if you're only streaming a console.

Xman0824

The 1650 Super has the same nvenc circuit as RTX 20x0 series, and its quality is between x264 medium and slow preset. There is no perceivable quality difference between this and an even slower x64 preset, which your CPU will probably not support. So there is no reason to use x264 at all, if you can use nvenc. This will also free your CPU for whatever you run in addition on your machine, even if you're only streaming a console.
Ok that makes sense now sorry another question. I was messing around with settings last night
Ok. That makes sense. Thank you. So another question sorry. Was looking at settings last night but didnt test or anything and saw that there is now a nvidia nvenc h.264/avc (via ffmpeg) option. Is that better than the nvenc (new) ?

Xman0824

Use nvenc (new). That's the native OBS implementation. The other option is from the streamfx plugin.
Thanks again for your help. I will go with nvenc. How many different things can i record at same time while streaming with my gpu you think? And Happy Friday by the way

koala

It's not clear what you mean with "different things". OBS is able to create one video file and one stream at a time. Use nvenc for both and you're fine.

Xman0824

It's not clear what you mean with "different things". OBS is able to create one video file and one stream at a time. Use nvenc for both and you're fine.
sorry, so what I mean is if I stream but want to record my webcam, gameplay individually at the same time I am streaming and maybe even record all if it together(cam, gameplay, alerts, overlays)

koala

This is independent from the encoder. It encodes the final video, not the entities separately from which the video is composited.