Question / Help Stream stops working on some High Motion Games

MattyRasker

Hi all,

I've been using OBS for around a year now, and I've now come across a problem that I'm hoping you guys can help on :)

First, here are my specs:

CPU: Core i5 4690K
GPU: GTX 760
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Download / Upload: 30-40Mb down, 15-20Mb up

So I can happily stream low motion, turn based games absolutely fine. I have even been able to stream
some first person games, such as Alien: Isolation and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, no problem.

Over the weekend, I tried streaming a game called Aragami, a third person stealth game. After a while, the stream stopped. OBS carried on as if nothing happened - was still encoding, uptime was carrying on, and was still showing me it was uploading at around 2500kbps. A constant ping to the router showed that I still had connection.

So last night, I did some testing - I tried out a few games, and everything worked except Aragami and Next Car Game: Wreckfest. Again, another high motion game. So I figured it must be something to do with high motion games.

Here are my OBS settings:

Output
Encoder: x264
Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 2500kbps
CPU Usage preset = veryfast

Video
Base Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Scaled Resolution: 1280x720
Downscale Filter: Bicubic
FPS: 30

To add to this mystery, I tried the NVENC encoder, with a bitrate of 2500kbps, and Aragami did not crash.

I was running the stream along side Twitch's inspector.twitch.tv test and although there was a couple of spikes in bitrate (jumped from 2500 to around 3100 once or twice) it said the stream was stable until the last 2 seconds, which tells me twitch lost connection.

So I'm wondering if a) it's an encoding thing with high motion games on my end, or b) the NVENC thing was just a red herring and it is possibly a connection issue, but I can't find out where.

I did run the logs through OBSs Log Analyser, but apart from telling me the log was incomplete, it didn't tell me anything else. I have attached these.

Also, here are two links to the test streams last night, both of which ended in the stream cutting out.

https://www.twitch.tv/mattyrasker/v/93977584
https://www.twitch.tv/mattyrasker/v/93985576

Lastly, many thanks in advance for your reply(ies). If you need any more info then let me know!

Regards,

Attachments

• 2016-10-09 20-47-13.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2016-10-09 19-51-17.txt
    17 KB · Views: 27
Hi

Just taking a loot at 2016-10-09-51-17 log and its showing "Number of memory leaks: 9" which seems high and could be causing you some issues.

MattyRasker

Hi Bob, cheers for the reply. Yes, and more interestingly I found this in the same log:

"device_texture_create (D3D11): Failed to create 2D texture (887A0005)"

Which according to this:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/psa-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-users.55256/

The problem I am having isn't what is being reported in that thread, but as I am on W10 and have recently had the Anniversary update, perhaps it is linked?

The first log, (2016-10-09 20-47-13.txt) however doesn't have this error message, wondering if that is right log file now, will have to double check when I get home.

MattyRasker

Just checked, it appears to b the right log file. The only other one was one I did earlier in the day when testing.

Could it still be the W10 issue?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The OBS Log Analyzer is only for OBS Classic logs. It does not work for OBS Studio logs.

The problem you're describing where your stream cuts off, but OBS Studio shows no visual indicator that something is wrong, is exactly how the Windows 10 AU issue behaves. The 887A0005 error message is a near certain indicator of that issue. Please read the PSA post, and try the workarounds listed as you see fit.

MattyRasker

Ahhh OK, I did not realise that, thanks for the info.

And yes, I saw your post on the W10 Anniversary update soon after I posted, thanks again for the info. Will keep my eye on it and monitor progress. Thanks for the reply!