Question / Help Stream Setup/Tutorial for Mac w/ Elgato & OBS!

Hey OBS community!

I published a new video on YouTube today regarding my specific stream setup, which also serves as a tutorial for using the Elgato Game Capture software with OBS to stream (and record), specifically for Mac. I know that there are a number of tutorials on this subject matter, but what's unique in this video is that I go through, as succinctly as possible, the steps to take to stream WITH and without a face cam. I know that quite a few people would like to include a face cam in their streams; however, there is no audio/webcam sync available as of yet within OBS. This should help until then. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO0zrNzDhVE

If you have any questions or comments regarding my setup/tutorial, post a comment on the video for a pretty fast response or you can post here, although I check the forums a little less often.

Once again, a big thank you to the OBS team for making any of this possible on Mac - love the direction it's going as well!

Have a good one!

Nicholas

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Very nice guide! I had never heard of Live Video Delay, so that is very handy.

Why do you have to add the webcam to CamTwist, instead of adding to OBS directly with Syphon? I tried it myself, and it worked fine.

You might want to submit this as a Guide resource as well.

Thank you, @dodgepong, it took a little bit of digging up to discover Live Video Delay, but it works like a charm!

I use CamTwist instead of a direct Syphon through OBS because I've actually found it to work better at the moment. I had issues with a stream being choppy and dropping frames all kinds using Syphon within OBS. I'm not sure if that's just me - then again, I sometimes stream & record within OBS, not sure if that makes a difference. I'll add an annotation stating that people could try eliminating CamTwist from the mix and trying direct Syphon support from OBS and see how it works for them. :)

And thank you for the suggestion - I'll submit it as a resource. :)

Have a good weekend!

Nicholas

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
So you get better performance with LiveVideoDelay > Syphon > Camtwist > OBS instead of LiveVideoDelay > Syphon > OBS? If that's the case, that might be something we want to look into. Perhaps some logs would help.

Yeah, I found it a bit odd that having an additional program (CamTwist) acting as the "middle man" worked better (at least on my system) than the latter, more direct option. I'll try and get a couple of logs going for today using the LiveVideoDelay > Syphon > OBS approach.

Wow - I hadn't tried Syphon as a source in OBS 0.6.2, but it actually works like a charm. When I tried using Syphon from within OBS directly in version 0.6.1, that's where it didn't work well at all for me. Not sure if anything has changed in the code from the perspective of OBS, but glad to report it works a-ok!

*EDIT*
I've added this new information as an annotation within the video.

Nicholas

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Some improvements were made to Syphon in 0.6.2, I believe, and a few more have been made since then and will be included in the next release.