Bug Report Stream not working when on delay

bellenoir

Hi there. My first post.

First of all great work on the OBS, if more feature will be added, this will become my go-to streaming software, because frankly it overperformes Xsplit in efficiency and is lighter on resources.

I do have a major problem though. Yesterday I tried to use it for a SC2 tournament cast and our channel on twitch.tv has usually a 1 minute delay set. With the delay set the stream would not go live, even though the OBS reported it is sending out data and streaming. Stream reported being live for 1 second once I started broadcasting, then went silent. Once I turned the delay off in the twitch.tv broadcaster dashboard, stream worked flawlessly.

This is not an issue when private streaming as I don't want any delay there, but in tournaments, having delay set is kinda expected, even required to prevent stream cheating.

Second thing: Whenever I have aero turned on and capture a SC2 window, OBS gets me a black screen instead of the contents of the window. Funny thing is that I can see the SC2 mouse pointer in OBS, but not anything else.

Once again great job and keep up the good work, mister! Maybe the guys in Split media labs should finally realize that continuing to optimize the code is more appealing to the casuals, rather than adding a bunch of features that most ppl will never even use :P

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Be careful about using my app for a tournament right now - it's still technically in alpha (although going to beta soon). There are still bugs that could possible pop up at random for all I know. If you do use it, make sure to do full testing beforehand to make sure everything is okay.

What is this twitch delay feature? I don't have a twitch partner/subscriber account so I don't know much about it. I do plan on adding an internal delay feature at some point, though.

If you get a black screen, that means it either can't find the window, or you have starcraft set to fullscreen. If it is fullscreen, you need to set starcraft to fullscreen windowed mode instead. However, if it can't find the window, make sure you have the right window selected in the properties. I'll try to make it so that there is a way for you to know whether it can find the window or not in a future version.

bellenoir

Thanks for the quick reply. I streamed two 8 hour long sessions on private stream before trying that out in the tournamnet, so I was pretty confident going into it. There were no problems during the cast. And since my computer is kinda old (Core 2 quad Q9650 running @ 3.8Ghz overclock, 4GB of 800 MHz RAM), outputing a decent resolution stream with more than lowest ingame settings is impossible with Xsplit for me. But with OBS I can do 720p 30FPS high details with no blur no problem!

The delay is the feature twitch.tv provides for their partners and I think its a function of their servers, so you might want to get in contact with them to find out how exactly it works. Of course implementing a delay function in OBS itself would be even better - then casuals/semi-pros/small-time tournament organizers would not have to rely on streaming service to get a delay, that would be very welcome indeed!

Regarding black screen - that is the wierd part as I read about how the software window capture method works in combination with aero here in the other threads. Here is what I did: SC2 was in fullscreen windowed mode, OBS was capturing the correct window (even did a refresh and selected the window couple more times to make shure, tried both inner and whole window with same result), aero was on. I did not get a message in OBS "Can't find window" that you usually get if the program in question is not running for example. It was detecting the window and capturing the SC2 mouse pointer, but everything else was black.

For info, I run Windows Vista Professional 64bit edition and have nVidia GFX 560Ti OC video card. If you want my full dxdiag or something to nail down this bug, I can send it to you or post it here as well (would prefer sending it tho).

Great job so far, can't wait on how this soft will improve, because so far I am more than satisfied with it even as it is :)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I took out the "Can't find window" error because I want to only show it to the streamer, not to the stream viewers. Sorry about that, I'm going to try to get it back to where it alerts you somehow (0.42 preferrably). It will also always display the cursor whether it can find the window or not right now.

I definitely want to implement a delay feature into the app itself. It may not be right away, but it will be in at some point.

Hm, strange though about the black screen with aero on. I'm not entirely sure. Very mysterious. If it's not the window finding issue, try running windows update, or try updating your video drivers -- not quite sure.

bellenoir

Yeah I find the black screen with aero misterious as well. Just for the record, I check all my software and drivers at most every month - most of them are on automatic. So all of this should be up to date.