Stream HLS but with HEVC CODEC? How Do I Set It Up?

Mark Weiss

I'm trying to reduce my stream bandwidth while maintaining picture quality, so that I can reach Japan and 2G/3G cellular users. Even my 4G speedtests at around 1500kbs in most locations, and it can't handle my 1900kbs stream without buffering.

rockbottom

I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past that. H265 is only used for 2 reasons. Reduce bandwidth/file size or use the same bit-rate as H264 & get a higher quality encode. See I know what the deal is, do you?

Mark Weiss

After rebooting the server, I can no longer access the web configuration for MistServer. It's tray application is running in Task Manager, but it seems the server itself is not.
More frustrating is that technical support gave me instructions how to set up my server for HEVC. Sadly, I can't execute those instructions because I can no longer access the configuration page.
So I nuked the installation and reinstalled it from scratch, hoping I could get back to where I was with the initial installation. Didn't fix things. Frustrated. I was SO close to solving this and now this happens!
1701218368784.png

rockbottom

Never saw that before. Are you sure you are using the correct addy, did you bookmark it? I messing around over here, I believe the source should look something like this in MS: http://127.0.0.1:8080/video/live.m3u8

Anyway, I'm back messing with RTMP, I figured out the multibitrate streaming. I can run all resolutions on the same stream key the player will automatically pick the best stream for the end user.

1701220738145.png

rockbottom

I also noticed that I'm still running the open source version. I guess I never bothered to update to the Pro version when they stopped selling it & gave it away for free. It's been a couple of years but since it all worked A-OK I went with the old If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Long story short, the HLS Protocol is not active in the open source version so even if I got that source addy correct, it's wasn't gonna work for me.

Mark Weiss

I had the browser address bookmarked by virtue of the fact that when it reopens it picks up where it left off.
My first thought was that i needed to start MistServer, so I did. but misttray was already running.

Anyway, I got new information from the testing guy at Mistserver and basically, there's no support for HEVC yet on Windows. He told me SRT was the only option I could do HEVC with. But not in the current version.

1701280260143.png

I wish I had know that before embarking on this three day mission of frustration.

Mark Weiss

I don't know LINUX well enough to build a server on it. I think I'll wait for the Windows version update.
Too the UI no longer responds after rebooting the server. I was planning to try it out in parallel to nginx and compare CPU load and memory use in conventional RTMP to HLS streaming. But since I have tried three times to reinstall MistServer and as many times, I can no longer access the configuration web portal, it's pretty much a dead issue for me now.

rockbottom

Hopefully they figure out the RAM issue & get it released sooner than later. Like I said earlier it's already been over 2 years since v3 was released.

Not sure what's going on there. If you have it installed, uninstall it & try running it as a service. You can use WinRAR or 7Zip to extract the binaries from the install file. Run it from MistController.

1701378316814.png

Mark Weiss

When I execute MistController, a blank CMD window opens and that's all.

Run as a service? How is that done?

He said something about the way Windows pools shared memory is making the update difficult. He said it's not really a priority.

rockbottom

Double click on MistController, the CMD window will open (the log is displayed here) & you should be able to access the Management Interface via your browser.