Question / Help Stream directly to vlc/mplayer... is it possible?

Hi all
I want to use OBS-Studio (on Fedora 24) as a sort of video mixer and effects generator. My idea is play with several video sources, and do mixing, fade, etc... but don't want to stream, just send to a client (either local or remote) to visualize

Last versions of VLC and MPlayer supports rtmp protocol, so my question is how to configure obs-studio stream output in a way that can be captured for those clients

Is it possible?
If so, any video/tutorial/howto?

Thanks in advance
Juan Antonio

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
To use rtmp you would need to run a rtmp server (for example nginx with rtmp module) on your linux machine. But what you can do right away is using the Advanced output of OBS-Studio, then Switch the recording type to custom ffmpeg output and then output type to output to url.
As the URL you can use udp://client.ip.address:1234
The client can then watch the stream in vlc by opening a network stream with the url: udp://@:1234
You probably need to change the container format to mpegts for everything to work. Instead of udp you can also use other protocols with ffmpeg. See this wiki entry for more info: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide#Pointtopointstreaming

Wow! works like a rock
Your link to ffmpeg wiki did de trick
The only problem is to remember to stop "recording" before closing mplayer... otherwise obs-studio stops recording with a sort of "output overflow error"

Thanks for the quick response
Juan Antonio

BarrettSimon

Wow! works like a rock
Your link to ffmpeg wiki did de trick
The only problem is to remember to stop "recording" before closing mplayer... otherwise obs-studio stops recording with a sort of "output overflow error"

Thanks for the quick response
Juan Antonio

Hi there,

I'm brand new here and this is what I have been trying to do all night.

Please can you let me know what settings you used for the ffmpeg output to URL for vlc playback to work?

I can't get anything to display in vlc for want of trying!

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

BloodWolf

Hi. I know its been a while so I dont know if its me or this solution is outdated. Anyways Im getting this Issue while starting the "Recording"
1614250692234.png

Hope you can help me

robotica

Hi. I know its been a while so I dont know if its me or this solution is outdated. Anyways Im getting this Issue while starting the "Recording"
View attachment 68067
Hope you can help me
Instead of writing "udp://client.ip.address:1234", you need to change the "client.ip.address" to your computer's local IP address. To find out what it is on Windows, you can open Task Manager, go to Performance, select the Network part and the IP address will be listed below the graph. If you are streaming to another computer, you need to use the IP address of the other computer. Hope that helps.

spyoungtech

Ran into a similar issue. I had to (1) set the container format to "mpegts" and (2) add `?pkt_size=1316` to the udp URL e.g. `udp:10.10.10.123:1234?pkt_size=1316`

Here were my working settings.
1640993688454.png

Hope this helps

Harry_hertz

Hi I am not an experienced used of OBS. I am trying to achieve the same.
I want to send a stream between two computers with in the same network or in different networks.
Currently I am testing between two computers in the same network.
but having issues,can't see any stream on the VLC side.
I have attached the screen shots of the setting on OBS and VLC end. Can any one help me in resolving the issue please

Thank You

Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG