Starlink cannot stream to Facebook Live

Scarlatti

Hi,

This issue may have been addressed before, but I found no solution on these forums. Please leave this up so that other users of Starlink can find this and know that others have the same issue.

I can stream without issue to X (Twitter), Twitch, and Youtube. However, both Facebook and Instagram cannot receive my OBS transmissions. It just says that it cannot connect to the server after about 20 seconds of the red light being on, switches off automatically. From within Facebook, it never receives the video transmission.

Here is a log example:
14:47:03.649: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, recv returned -80. GetSockError(): 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)
14:47:03.649: Output 'adv_stream': stopping
14:47:03.649: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 0
14:47:03.649: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 645
14:47:03.649: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Connection to rtmps://live-api-s.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -3

No matter what I do, I cannot stream to Facebook or Instagram from my Starlink internet despite other streaming services receiving my OBS transmissions without issue. I have tried the ingest URL servers, I have tried reboot, re-install OBS, double and triple checking that I have the correct streaming settings selected within OBS settings, none of it works.

Does anyone know why Starlink cannot stream to Facebook or Instragram live servers? Again, my apologies if people have addressed this before, but in the threads where people say "This have been dealt with," I couldn't find any links to the thread where it was actually "dealt with" or explained. I am on Windows 10, using the latest version of OBS 30.1.1

Thank you in advance for your attention and replies (should there be any).

Scarlatti

Update: For anyone who has this issue. I "THINK" I may have just solved it. You have to go into the Starlink app on your iPhone, go to SETTINGS and enable the "Custom DNS" option, and enter 1.1.1.1 as the primary DNS, and 1.0.0.1 as the backup, then SAVE/APPLY. This "APPEARS" to have fixed the problem. Leave this up for anyone searching for the answer to this. I had to dig DEEP to find this information looking through about 50 different forum posts.

Scarlatti

Update, just stopped working. So... for some reason that we don't know, Starlink has a port problem of some kind with Facebook/Instagram live stream servers. No one anywhere has any idea what causes it.

qhobbes

Since your bandwidth is dynamic, you should enable dynamic bitrate. Settings > Advanced > Network > check box Dynamic Bitrate, Apply, OK.
Make sure you are using X/H264 and RTMP (not RTMPS).