Question / Help SRT woes in OBS 25.0.8 trying to do client to client transfer, is this working for anyone else?

BOLL

Hello! I've been testing out the SRT support in the last few days. I have successfully streamed to an external vMix instance from OBS, but I have problems trying to do OBS to OBS.

Test cases.
  • For local tests the listener would be at srt://127.0.0.1:10000?mode=listener and the caller at srt://127.0.0.1:10000
  • For remote tests we tried domain names and IPv4 addresses both, we used Packet Sender to verify the ports were open and accepted connections. Also tried disabling firewalls.
Working
  1. OBS listener => VLC caller
  2. OBS listener => OBS VLC Source caller, although getting a fixed 2 second delay even if specifying latency.
Non-working
  1. OBS listener => OBS Media Source caller, even if this is the example in the wiki, it connects, the listener starts streaming, but it would not show something in the caller client. The source size is set to 90001x90001.
  2. OBS caller => VLC listener, not even sure if VLC can act as listener ‍♂️ just getting invalid path/URL.
  3. OBS caller => OBS Media Source listener, this direction would be preferable, the caller connects successfully but as before nothing is displayed, size at 0x0 this time.
  4. OBS listener => Remote VLC, OBS Media and OBS VLC Source caller, never connected
  5. Remote OBS listener => VLC, OBS Media and OBS VLC Source caller, never connected
A few side notes.
  1. If an SRT listener never gets a connection, the "Stop streaming" label never appears on the button and streaming cannot be stopped. If closing the application it will still exist in the background, and requires a manual process termination.
  2. If a connection is stopped, stop streaming from OBS and stop playing the stream in VLC, it cannot be restarted without first restarting both clients. Pretty sure this happened frequently in any case.
  3. Seems OBS cannot use the listener shorthand of: srt://:10000 as it always fail?
  4. Am pretty sure we cannot use domain names in srt paths/URLs, is this supposed to be the case?
So yeah, we did some exhaustive testing, I hope my notes are correct but I have to confess my brain is exhausted after spending a number of hourse on this Is the SRT support a work in progress? I suspect as much considering the struggles we've had.

That's pretty much it. I really want to use SRT for remote co-streaming with only using OBS, so hopefully this will work in the future. Or, I'll find some setting I've missed somewhere. Networking is hard most apparently

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit (10.0.17763) using OBS 25.0.8, friend is using same Windows and OBS, not sure about exact Windows version though.

BOLL

For me OBS with SRT working on LAN connection, on WAN not working (or i can't).
Sorry for this late reply Tomasz, but did you get OBS with SRT working well between OBS clients, or did you stream to some other client or service? I had a lot of problems trying to do OBS to OBS while OBS to vMix worked fine, except once having to switch port as the connection would not release after a start/stop.