Sound Problem while Recording / Crackling

swtdr34mz

Hey all,

LOG FILE: https://obsproject.com/logs/KBzBY9RpMCazySuw

Have this Issue since 2 Weeks and I dont know what the Problem is.

I record myself playing Guitar, so I play through an Valeton GP200 MultiFX Pedal, into my RME Bayface (128 Samples / 48khz), into Cubase - So the Sound goes thru Loopback into OBS, that was all good back in 2022 - had a little Break, recorded again and then the Crackling began. Its like the Sound is overdriven, but when I check all Hardware and Software Levels, its all on -10db. When I play something less distorted on the Guitar the Crackling is gone - but I cant identify where the Crackling is happening. The Input Level on my Interface is good, the Level in the MultiFX Pedal is good, there is an Levelmeter so I can see when its red. The Level when the amed Signal goes into Cubase is -10 and I dont have any FX on my Cubase Channels, so the Master Level is also good. The OBS Level is also in the Yellow Area and I have an Limiter on -2db but it dont touches that Area. I dont get it Guys perhaps you can help me. I thought its the Preset, or the Guitar so I checked the IRs, the Electronics, all Cables, but I dont know what to do and I need to record....

VIDEO

sorry for the terrible skills

EDIT: I tried it with different Guitars and different Presets, IRs and switched the USB Port of the Cam, switched the CAM off, installed OBS new and tried different Scenes...

Last edited:

khaver

You might want to try disabling the global Desktop Audio and add audio capture sources directly in your scenes. The log shows the desktop audio lagging, which may be causing the crackles. Also, make sure you don't have something in the audio chain set to 44.1khz. All need to be 48khz.

swtdr34mz

thanks for checking in! Desktip Audio is disabled (muted) in the Mixer Section and everythin is set to 48khz, Windows, Cubase and OBS - newest Driver for RME Babyface is installed, newest OBS and Windows 10 is up to date :/

Tomasz Góral

15:49:50.092: Source Desktop-Audio audio is lagging (over by 47172.27 ms) at max audio buffering. Restarting source audio.
remove Desktop Audio

swtdr34mz

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-22 173500.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-22 173500.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:

jcschultz01

Hi
Not sure if there is another thread but I am ONLY recording voice, tinny but voice, in OBS 30.0.0. The background music does not record. I have tried enabling/disabling desktop audio and Mic/Aux 1 and while there is a little, very "tinny" music in the background it is not suitable to broadcast. Windows 10 with OBS does not have this problem. Windows 11 with Sound Recorder. i am running stereo with 48KHz thought he webcam only has a mono microphone. BTW, switching to mono did not help. REALLY would like a solution. Thanks

jcschultz01

BTW, Sound Recorder now records audio in Windows 11 with AUDIO ENHANCEMENTS off. Still does not record music in OBS. I have also tried making a separate audio input device from the camera microphone.

AaronD

Hi
Not sure if there is another thread but I am ONLY recording voice, tinny but voice, in OBS 30.0.0. The background music does not record. I have tried enabling/disabling desktop audio and Mic/Aux 1 and while there is a little, very "tinny" music in the background it is not suitable to broadcast. Windows 10 with OBS does not have this problem. Windows 11 with Sound Recorder. i am running stereo with 48KHz thought he webcam only has a mono microphone. BTW, switching to mono did not help. REALLY would like a solution. Thanks
That sounds like a Noise Suppressor. They're designed for spoken voice only, and everything else is noise to be removed. Lots of people have slapped them on, and then wondered what happened to their musical instruments on stage, sound effects in a game, etc.

Windows itself also has one, even if you don't in OBS. And it's on by default to make business or family calls work better. And the control to turn it off is hidden so that nosy people don't accidentally do that and then blame Microsoft for "breaking their computer" when they suddenly have a noisy call.

When you build a new rig, or update an existing one, take a good full day to explore ALL of the settings. Figure out what each one does, and set ALL of them on purpose to suit *your* purpose. Don't rely on the defaults.

swtdr34mz

so...it's been a while and meanwhile I bought a new PC with Intel 13700 and other modern Parts.....dude the Crackling was still there. tried all the workarounds, nothing. I'm not a Streamer, I record my Clips and upload them on YT afterwards.

Now to the Good Part.....I fixed the Problem!

So because I'm old and dump, and only know mp4, I choose mp4 as Video Export Format. I switched that 4 fun to Matroska, Video Encoder on Software (x264) and Audio Encoder to Opus. Voila. Crackling Gone on 48khz 24bit 128 Buffersize Cubase 13 Pro Babyface Pro Win11 with 1 trashy Webcam. I chose the normal Audio Input Source and have my Main Output set to Loopback in the TotalMix Software from RME.

Dude....it works...just Recorded 2 flawless Clips. Had to post this, hope it helps.

Peace

VirgilGuitar

Hey all,
I was checking these threads out because I started having the same problem more recently and I actually figured out the cause, I actually record in Cubase 13 at 44.1 kHz and not a big fan of switching to 48k because of a program like OBS said I need to - and the reason is because I'm going to be doing several videos based on a lot of songs I've recorded in Cubase through the years and if this is the solution, I'm out... but what I figured out was this - the crackling sound only occurs when I'm watching some video that I recorded WITHOUT SHUTTING DOWN OBS... BAM - so - after I record in OBS, I simply close out the instance of OBS and play the video I've made and no crackling sound. (Exhales deeply)

Andy101

so...it's been a while and meanwhile I bought a new PC with Intel 13700 and other modern Parts.....dude the Crackling was still there. tried all the workarounds, nothing. I'm not a Streamer, I record my Clips and upload them on YT afterwards.

Now to the Good Part.....I fixed the Problem!

So because I'm old and dump, and only know mp4, I choose mp4 as Video Export Format. I switched that 4 fun to Matroska, Video Encoder on Software (x264) and Audio Encoder to Opus. Voila. Crackling Gone on 48khz 24bit 128 Buffersize Cubase 13 Pro Babyface Pro Win11 with 1 trashy Webcam. I chose the normal Audio Input Source and have my Main Output set to Loopback in the TotalMix Software from RME.

Dude....it works...just Recorded 2 flawless Clips. Had to post this, hope it helps.

Peace
Can't thank you enough... changed Audio Encoder to Opus and it fixed it.. I changed my desktop audio back to default as combined that turned me into a darlec :)