Question / Help [SOLVED] Window Capture Suddenly Not Showing Everything

MarkDeeks

Hi all - I'm new to OBS and yesterday got the latest version. My log is here:
https://obsproject.com/logs/JqfQ9liu6pVarUFq

I was happily putting together a scene which included 3 cameras, 2 window captures and an image. I've been happily working away for a number of hours getting things as I wish, then needed to make a second scene to flick between that only needed some of the above. I had everything I needed in the second scene then started taking some things away and reconfiguring the screen, and I needed to take away one of the window captures (they were both from an app called Chordie) and leave the other. I changed my mind and needed to re add window capture and Chordie no longer appears in the list of Window capture options.

I've tried restarting Chordie. I've tried restarting OBS. I've tried restarting the Mac. I've been Googling for a way to force OBS to rescan for open applications for Window Capture with no luck. I can't make Chordie reappear at all in the Window Capture options and it's been there solidly for the last 2 days, including instantly connecting the first time with no challenge at all.

I need to film 2 videos using this set up tomorrow and I'm panicking. If anyone could possibly help me it would be super appreciated. In the 2 pictures you can see the 3 windows of Chordie open on my Desktop, and then not appearing in OBS as options. They previously were all listed there separately.

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.39.16.png
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.38.56.png

Thanks a lot.

MarkDeeks

So would you believe I solved this in 5 minutes this morning with the help of a comment buried in a forum thread from a couple of years ago!? Just in case anyone ever has a similar problem, the answer is this:

If OBS ITSELF is in full screen (Mac), then it doesn't find loads of the possibilities for Window Capture, only itself and the desktop, but if it's not in full screen and you just have the green sizing button top left, it will find everything!! So that's not the apps / windows you are trying to show in full screen... OBS itself! Bonkers!!! Problem solved now though - at least now we know...

runtiderun

I'm having this same issue, but the OBS window is not full screen and neither are any of the windows i'm trying to share.

Glenn23

I'm having this same issue, but the OBS window is not full screen and neither are any of the windows i'm trying to share.
I had the same problem until I went to System Prefs -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab -> look on left hand side for "Screen Recording" and select it. make sure OBS.app is check marked. This solved the problem I was having and yours sounds similar.

jgonder

I had the same problem until I went to System Prefs -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab -> look on left hand side for "Screen Recording" and select it. make sure OBS.app is check marked. This solved the problem I was having and yours sounds similar.
Exactly - I had happily created scenes with multiple app windows, Chordie, Synthesia, Classroom Maestro, audio and video sources, then after updating to OBS v26, no app windows work. Apparently, the updated OBS app needed to be, once again, permitted for 'screen recording' in System Prefs.

NeverQui

So would you believe I solved this in 5 minutes this morning with the help of a comment buried in a forum thread from a couple of years ago!? Just in case anyone ever has a similar problem, the answer is this:

If OBS ITSELF is in full screen (Mac), then it doesn't find loads of the possibilities for Window Capture, only itself and the desktop, but if it's not in full screen and you just have the green sizing button top left, it will find everything!! So that's not the apps / windows you are trying to show in full screen... OBS itself! Bonkers!!! Problem solved now though - at least now we know...
Thank you!