Question / Help [SOLVED] Retina Displays still not working?

There hasn't been many hits, so I'm either missing the solution or the problem exists and nobody is talking about it.

Do we still have issues with Blizzard games and Retina displays only showing the lower quadrant?

I'm using OBS 0.16.2, Heroes of the Storm, and tried every SyphonInject version I could find on the Internet (it seems that OBS has the latest, v1.3, even though it only says 1.2 in Info) and I'm still only getting the lower quadrant.

It's not in the known issues (last updated Jun 2014), and the workaround (setting the game to lower resolution) or the other workaround (setting the monitor to lower resolution) does not work. Display capture gets a whopping 4FPS (display, not window).

Just to recap, tried the following:
* multiple versions of SyphonInject
* using "Low Resolution" on the file.
* setting retina display to a lower resolution
* display capture (last resort, not a production solution)

Just want to know as I only have 13 days left on my return policy.

Last edited:

keybounce

If you go to the icon for the game, command-I/get info, and click on "open in low resolution", does the problem go away?

Solution: Within SyphonInject v1.3, manually enter the dimensions as 5120x2880 and re-inject.

While this works, unfortunately, we're now using 4 TIMES the amount of video memory and potentially CPU cycles if any effects applied (and resizing). This effectively KILLS your stream on anything but the most beefiest of Macs. With the aging hardware and refusal to refresh any parts in Mac, I can only recommend that you DO NOT BUY a Retina Mac if you want to stream.

My 2012 iMac (non-retina 2560x1440) downsamples to 1920x1080 MUCH BETTER than the top of the line 2015 Retina iMac with a newer cpu and graphics card. I can only do 720p reliably, 1080p is just too much compression.

This is not a reliable solution for streaming at 1080 and playing a game. Just not practical.

SEXY UPDATE!!

I have found the application cscreen (command-line, free) can be used to change my resolution with very sexy FPS results.

When I force my main screen resolution to be 1920x1080:

* the game looks beautiful, the display is still "retina", AND
* FPS is consistency above 30 (if you need triple digits FPS you can go fly a kite), AND
* I can still power a 27" Thunderbolt Display (2560x1440), AND
* I can still power a 1080p Thunderbolt HDMI display, AND
* I can use Syphon on Heroes of the Storm, AND
* I can stream at 1080p@30FPS, AND
* My CPU is fine.

This is EXACTLY what I expected and wanted from my setup. I'm back in business, boyz!

(To revert, set the main resolution back to 2560x1440. Ideally, to get back to retina, you should set "Default for display" within System Preferences").

# cscreen -d 32 -x 1920 -y 1080
# cscreen -d 32 -x 2560 -y 1440

SEXY EDITs:

* Typing in "cscreen" without arguments gives you a list of your displays, the DisplayIDs (first column) and current resolutions.
* If you have more than one display, use "cscreen -i a1b2c3 ..." (set the DisplayID to the) for your first display.
* You CANNOT change to a resolution you do not have. Macbooks (and Pros) are natively 2560x1600, which means you cannot use 1920x1080. Therefore, set your OBS canvas as 1920x1080, but capture at a native ratio (2560x1600) and align it within the window. Do not stretch the capture, keep the blackbars, and use it for information spaces.

Last edited: