Question / Help (Solved)Playing in 4K and streaming in 1080p skips frames only when moving?

m33ts4k0z

Hello,

Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on 4K on PC with a canvas and output size of 1920x1080 on OBS creates a very strange issue:

Only when moving in game, the stream freezes and skips until some seconds of the end of the movement and then it resumes normally again. This happens all the time when moving. I tried A LOT of different configurations and settings without result. When i change the resolution to 1080p in game then it works fine. But neither my CPU nor my GPU are capped in usage even on 4K. OBS shows no dropped frames and the CPU usage remains on < 2% in OBS. I'm using the NVENC encoder. Please check the log.

My rig:

Core i7 8700K
32GB RAM
1080Ti

Attachments

• 2019-11-17 19-41-11.txt
    65.9 KB · Views: 25
Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on 4K on PC with a canvas and output size of 1920x1080 on OBS creates a very strange issue.

But neither my CPU nor my GPU are capped in usage even on 4K. OBS shows no dropped frames and the CPU usage remains on < 2% in OBS. I'm using the NVENC encoder.

The lagged and skipped frames would say otherwise as you are indeed maxing out the resources when playing RDR2 in 4K as seen below.

19:44:50.252: Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 3941 (33.3%)
19:44:50.252: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 5090/11730 (43.4%)

Either drop the in-game resolution down and/or run OBS as admin to gain GPU priority.

m33ts4k0z

The lagged and skipped frames would say otherwise as you are indeed maxing out the resources when playing RDR2 in 4K as seen below.

Either drop the in-game resolution down and/or run OBS as admin to gain GPU priority.

Thanks for your reply. Im no OBS expert but this portion that you quoted is due to lag because I stopped the stream? I reduced the resolution to 1080p in game now and the result is still the same. The encoder is both new and old NVENC but the result is exactly the same.

m33ts4k0z

The problem was game specific: Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't work that well when the Vulkan API and streaming are involved. I switched to DX12 and all configurations are working perfectly fine with no lag even on 4K medium settings.

Last edited: