Question / Help [SOLVED] Lag when streaming (connection wise)

ForeGoneGaming

Hey there guys!

So I've recently switched from xsplit to OBS studio. I actually have to admit, that you guys did a great job with this one.

Though I've got a couple of problems with it. But first I'd like to start with my specs.

Log file: https://gist.github.com/ef255bdc465eae774bf6580b6907ea62
Specs: Ryzen 1800x @3.8 gHz, GTX 980, 16GB RAM
Internet connection: 35+ mbit down, 8+ mbit up, 20-35 ping (depends on location)
Game mostly played: PlanetSide 2 (where all of these problems happen most of the times)

Now, every now and then I get the "red square" at the bottom of OBS when streaming a game. This mostly happens when I am turning around in a shooter or something huge happens, like when there's a lot of movement on the screen.

I already tried lowering the bitrate (from 5000kbit to 3000kbit), but the problem still persists. Now I thought it might be because of packet loss, though I tried 4 sites for packet loss now and all of them (all over the world) stated, that there's no packet loss at all.

I already checked my CPU and GPU, which are actually fine and not over 90% usage and set the CPU-affinity in the task manager to 50/50, to test if there's something changing.

So I checked the logs of OBS what might be the issue and I saw that I am dropping frames (~5% to ~10%). Probably when a lot of movement is happening. I am having my own stream opened on the second screen to check all this and can see, that the screen is lagging for about a second (though sound is still going on). I also tried to switch locations from Frankfurt to Amsterdam (Twitch-servers).

The second problem I am having is, that when I start streaming I get this slight "stutter" when playing a game. I know, that the FPS should go down by about ~10-20 FPS when streaming, but that stutter keeps coming back every 1-2 seconds. It feels like it would "skip" one or two frames.

Thanks in advance for an answer. :)

ForeGoneGaming

The problem is solved!

For everyone who has issues with streaming: I'd recommend to update to the new version 20.1.3, which seems to have been released today! Completely fixed all my problems.

• Reverted x264 version to the previous stable build due to AVX512 optimizations causing stability issues on some system
This was probably the point, that fixed it for me. :)

Edit for the interested ones: I noted, that the bitrate that is stated in the lower right of the OBS studio window exceeded the regular bitrate i set up (for example: max bitrate settings were 3800 and when a lot of screen movement came it the bitrate in OBS jumped to 5000 to 6000). After I installed the update, this issue has gone.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The problem was with your ISP, that update has no effect for you since the Ryzen can't do AVX512.

ForeGoneGaming

The problem was with your ISP, that update has no effect for you since the Ryzen can't do AVX512.

Well then, I wonder why it didn't work the whole time (tested several days on multiple servers, every time with dropped frames) and now it works perfectly fine, as soon as I updated the software.

Especially when every network check (both in general and made for twitch) told me that there was no packet loss or bad connection at all.

ForeGoneGaming

Hey there guys. Just a quick update. Someone might be interested in this one.

Before you read any further: I'd like to point out, that this post isn't meant to promote xsplit in any kind of way. OBS Studio is a really good software and if it works for you, you should keep using it

I apparently had some connection issues and bandwidth problems, as far as R1CH said. Every time i tried to stream 720p@60 fps at a bitrate of 3600+ it "lagged". The red square was showing on the lower part of OBS Studio every time I had a lot of movement on my screen. For whatever reason (i know, there's a buffer), the shown bitrate in the lower right corner exceeded my set bitrate by A LOT (about up to 4500).

I then tried to go for xsplit, because a bitrate of 3600 isn't a lot, if you're aiming for 720p@60. And... for whatever reason... xsplit seems to be able to manage even a bitrate of 6000+ without any problems. I hadn't had a single dropped frame, even though i tried both of the programs DIRECTLY after each other, where OBS Studio wasn't able to keep up.

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of the OBS issue. I thought it wouldn't be necessary because of the upper post. But here you go with at least the bandwith tester of xsplit. I used it about 10 times now after my stream has finished and it hasn't caused any problems yet.

Again. This is not a post to discredit OBS Studio. Use it, if it works fine for you. This is just a simple post for those who might have the same problem as I do and for the developers, to maybe be able to keep an eye on it. Not saying, that the it is the devs fault, but there are often a couple of things you just might oversee.

Best regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-01 18.23.03.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-01 18.23.03.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 564