Question / Help So apparently I can't even START obs after unlocking GPU

ShadowDX

Hi, today I encountered an odd issue. I suppose I know what caused it and I'm not happy about it. Also, OBS has working fine up untill now, just to make that clear.

I own Gigabyte RX 460 Windforce OC 2GB card that has 892 stream processors, you can however unlock it to full 1024 stream processors that are on the chip. And I did just that yesterday. To make it work I needed to patch signature check in drivers. Today I was unable to start OBS Studio whether it was 32 bit or 64 bit version, reinstalling the program didn't help at all either. I am also not given any specific crash message, just the basic prompt that the program has crashed and where the crashlog is to be saved. (crashlog is below)​

If I can't use OBS with unlocked GPU then this is a very big problem for me. I also didn't run into any issues with other programs or games. I hope there is a way around this. I was ready to meet some issues after unlocking the card by the way, I do have R7 integrated graphics since I'm running on AMD APU, I hoped I could maybe just run on it instead if there were some issues, but being unable to even start the program is just heartbreaking, since I always used OBS and it worked best for me.

Attachments

• Crash 2017-12-01 17-07-45.txt
    40.1 KB · Views: 6

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Your AMD drivers are crashing, so you probably patched them wrong or your chip isn't able to run all 1024 processors.

ShadowDX

Your AMD drivers are crashing, so you probably patched them wrong or your chip isn't able to run all 1024 processors.
The chip is working properly though. I run a FurMark stress test for 30 minutes and besides getting a bit toasty it ran stable. I also see performance gain and so far nothing else has crashed for me, only OBS doesn't want to start. That means there must be something with drivers... I'm running latest 17.11.4 and the patch is kernel file replacement in unpacked drivers setup. I will revert to old 16.xx.x drivers before requirement for the patch and write back if the issue is gone. I will also try some older, but still 17.xx.x drivers while I'm at it. Thanks for help so far. I didn't think out of all games/programs OBS would be the most sensitive one and to the point of getting a startup error?