Snapcrafter OBS Studio (Version 27.1.3) Snapcrafters -- or -- Flatpak OBS Studio (Version 27.2.4)

olliobs

Hello,

should as noob prefer Snapcrafter OBS Studio (Version 27.1.3) Snapcrafters -- or -- Flatpak OBS Studio (Version 27.2.4) ?

some extra features
Batteries included

The snap of OBS studio comes pre-loaded with some extra features:

• Supports nvenc (NVIDIA) and VA-API (AMD & Intel) accelerated video encoding.
  • Advanced Scene Switcher plugin; an automated scene switcher
  • Browser plugin; CEF-based OBS Studio browser plugin
  • Directory Watch Media plugin; filter you can add to a media source to load the oldest or newest file in a directory.
  • Dynamic Delay plugin; filter for dynamic delaying a video source.
  • Freeze Filter plugin; freeze a source using a filter.
  • gPhoto plugin; connect DSLR cameras with obs-studio via gPhoto.
  • GStreamer plugins; feed GStreamer launch pipelines into OBS Studio and use GStreamer encoder elements.
  • Move Transition plugin; move sources to a new position during a scene transition.
  • NDI plugin; Network A/V via NewTek's NDI.
  • NvFBC plugin; screen capture via NVIDIA FBC API. Requires NvFBC patches for Nvidia drivers for consumer-grade GPUs.
  • RGB Levels plugin; simple filter to adjust RGB levels.
  • Source Switcher plugin; to switch between a list of sources.
  • Spectralizer plugin; audio visualization using fftw.
  • StreamFX plugin; collection modern effects filters and transitions.
  • Text Pango plugin; Provides a text source rendered using Pango with multi-language support, emoji support, vertical rendering and RTL support.
  • Transition Matrix plugin; customize Any -> One or One -> One scene transitions.
  • VNC Source plugin; VNC viewer that works as a source.
  • Websockets plugin; remote-control OBS Studio through WebSockets.

What is the besser choice and why?

My intention is to get a working " OBS virtual black background".

Thank's
olliobs

tomachi

At least with Flatpak you don't get annoying virtual drives.
Snap is an abomination, and makes the Linux Desktop seem inferior, forcing containerisation at too intense a level for most people. Only big companies support snap probably because they don't have to use it, and don't mind sandboxing their users. I'm religiously opposed to snap. See: https://tomachi.co/review-snap-linux-app-format/

Bare metal install always seems the fastest for all apps.

I found OBS running natively in Linux Mint / Zorin OS / AV Linux was the fastest. But now I'm struggling to get it running natively on Kubuntu 22: I've just installed Kubuntu and removed snapd, but OBS installed natively does not work (Segmentation fault on clean install of 22.04.1).

So I am now gonna try the Flatpak.