Question / Help Skype Echo Help multi skype

EVLounge

Hi all

New to this and we are having issues with NDI and Skype and obs as below I will try and make it as simple as possible.

Conference call between two people streaming on obs to YouTube we are fine everything is working fine.

Add a third party to the stream and when you have three talking the two parties joining the stream create echo.

So we found that killing muting one mic feed on obs both of the two parties come through one feed. But this makes a delay in one of the parties in call.

Select the other audio and mute the first and the delay moves to the other party in call.

We can not get the two audios to be separated we have to mute one causing a delay with one.

The host pulls local no issues and aslong as we only have two host all is fine.

Any advice with this would be greatful.

Craig

Narcogen

This is a consequence of Skype's NDI implementation. Since there's one NDI output per video feed, but one master audio feed, there's no workaround on the OBS side of things. OBS can't separate the audio because there is no separate per-participant audio in Skype's NDI output.

Spinball

I've been battling with Streamlabs OBS and OBS Studio to get a fix for this for a week.
Have five people on the Skype call, all with video and the audio has been terrible. Not an echo as such, but a repetition of the audio which creates a kind of phase effect.
Found your reply here, @Narcogen, which confirms my suspicions that changing anything in the settings (I changed almost everything trying to find a solution) would do nothing as the problem is with Newtek NDI and/or Skype.

The easiest solution is to mute all the Skype NDI sources in the OBS audio mixer except one. So the Skype audio can be picked up from that single source. That works perfectly. You can't mix the volumes of the individual sources, so you'll have to ask them to adjust their mics so that their volumes are roughly equal. But at least it works!
If there is a delay of some kind (network, maybe) between the different NDI sources, then there might be issues, but for now, it's all good.

Microsoft need to look at changing the Skype NDI implementation so the individual audio sources are available. I've been a coder using Microsoft since DOS, so I have zero faith in them doing that, unfortunately.

Bearded Fen

This is how I sorted out the echo. On the Advanced audio settings only selected one checkbox per audio input. Screenshot attached

Attachments

• Audio setup.png
    Audio setup.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 857

Rayhanah

Recording audio or video calls in Skype has never been easier. In the past, you had to use a third-party program, but now Skype has a built-in recording feature for desktop, mobile, and the web.

toonda

Hi all

New to this and we are having issues with NDI and Skype and obs as below I will try and make it as simple as possible.

Conference call between two people streaming on obs to YouTube we are fine everything is working fine.

Add a third party to the stream and when you have three talking the two parties joining the stream create echo.

So we found that killing muting one mic feed on obs both of the two parties come through one feed. But this makes a delay in one of the parties in call.

Select the other audio and mute the first and the delay moves to the other party in call.

We can not get the two audios to be separated we have to mute one causing a delay with one.

The host pulls local no issues and aslong as we only have two host all is fine.

Any advice with this would be greatful.

Craig

I had the same issue and got to the same conclusion (the hard way, after a week bangin my head to the figurative wall). one workaround I can think of is to configure shortcuts to unmute the guest who have the word while muting everyone else's NDI feed. Haven't got the time to try it out yet, hope it won't be too noticeable.

toonda

I had the same issue and got to the same conclusion (the hard way, after a week bangin my head to the figurative wall). one workaround I can think of is to configure shortcuts to unmute the guest who have the word while muting everyone else's NDI feed. Haven't got the time to try it out yet, hope it won't be too noticeable.
UPDATE: It worked flawlessly, no more lag or echo in live transmissions with multiple participants. After a while you get used to identify who is speaking and switch to the proper audio source. Don´t forget to enable the ultra-low latency feature when adding NDI sources, it helps a lot.

Get headphones for your skype calls using NDI. No echo with multiple participants.
Please read again. The issues we are discussing are not related to the misuse of headphones.

dex110

I found this issue was caused at two levels for me.
1) I was using Virtual Cam to return my video to participants -- this was sending back the audio feed too, which had a slight delay- creating a maddening echo loop that only participants could hear. Solved by no longer using Virtual Cam as my webcam source on Skype

2) As folks noted above, Skype mixes down all the audio, but each new NDI or window capture source has the full audio, so everytime you add a participant's feed you are adding the same audio which makes a chorus effect. I solved this with some audio signal rerouting using VB-Audio A+B Audio cable (https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/). Its similar to a Soundflower or Loop Back. Basically creates digital audio "pipes" to move signal around. Instead of having Skype app output to desktop/default audio, I send it to the A Cable. (This also allows me to send all my system audio to the "B" cable so I can control Spotify/youtube/etc volume seperate from Skype). Then in OBS I mute all the Skype NDI source audios and add Cable A as my Aux 2 source. So I have a single output from skype / single input to OBS. I also set that Aux 2 channel to Monitor and Output so it serves as my way to hear participants. Only downside is if you have a scene without that Aux 2 source, you can't hear participants. Aka there is no way to talk to participants and hear what they are saying "off screen".

Separately I've been having a HELL of a time with Skype's NDI being consistent. It seems to only work 50% of the time with no pattern/reason that I can figure out- bout to start a new thread to discuss that and alternatives.

Qixotl

That seems way overcomplicated; why not just mute all the duplicate audio sources in OBS?
I'm with you on Skype NDI being terrible though. Tonight I had a full 2 second delay on the audio (not the video) of the Skype NDI local feed. First time I've had that issue in 6 weeks of using this setup.Would love to know how to solve that if anyone knows...