Question / Help Skipped Frames and Lagged Frames

Hello.

This is kind of related to my previous post, however, slightly different. I am wanting to confirm which is causing the bigger issue out of my GPU or my CPU. as I may upgrade my GPU if required. I am happy to go ahead and upgrade the GPU as that will be relatively easy to do. However I am slightly reluctant to upgrade the CPU as its pretty high end anyway and it would be a massive pain to upgrade.

So i use NVENC encoder. I will grab a screen shot of the settings. I use a nvidia geforce GTX 960. and that PC is just the OBS pc. however i use a lot of sources and filters and things on the OBS PC. my CPU is AMD Ryzen 7 1800X eight core.

MY OBS PC captures the screen of my gaming PC to produce the stream.

14:58:32.378: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 9341 (1.0%)
14:58:32.379: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] Freeing 1 remaining packets
14:58:32.380: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 312/932898 (0.0%)

this is the report after a 4 hour stream.

https://obsproject.com/logs/YyZtq585_1UgHDvw

Also, please note: that lag frame skips even happen when I am just looking at OBS even when it is not streaming or recording. i can see the skip by just looking at my OBS displaying my webcam, or if it is playing back a local video file, i can see the frame skip.

process priority is set to high. I am aware that my OBS is a bit complex. But I am in a position where I don't want to let my hardware put a cap on my imagination and creativity. I have many videos inside of my OBS, a lot of them with chroma key to delete the green background. (even though I have started applying the chroma in the video edit before it gets to OBS now, so that OBS doesn't have to do that filter and it's already done before it gets to OBS.) So what I am saying is, if i have to fork out for a high end GPU then so be, I will try to find a way to make it happen. Ideally looking for recommendations on, if forking out for a new GPU would be worth the cash.

Or perhaps my encoding is set really wrong and I just need to change settings.

Thank you so much. ^_^

1538318067317.png

1538318080912.png

1538318098078.png

Last edited:

Narcogen

14:58:32.378: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 9341 (1.0%)

That is saying your GPU is not quite keeping up with frame rendering. So you can either reduce load or upgrade the GPU.

That is saying your GPU is not quite keeping up with frame rendering. So you can either reduce load or upgrade the GPU.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your time very much. I was thinking along those lines. I just wanted to run it by the OBS forum before forking out £400 for a new GPU. Thank you.

BK-Morpheus

No need for a new GPU. Just limit FPS and details for your game, until the GPU load of Game+OBS stays under 95%.