Sketchy installer

Zargle

The installer for OBS automatically begins working upon agreeing to terms, without any ability to select the destination drive/folder or to cancel the installation. It also creates both a start menu shortcut and a desktop icon without permission. The Windows installer for OBS MP has the latter issue as well.

This is incredibly inconvenient to say the least--I honestly feel like it warrants a bug report rather than a feedback post. Such a first impression can also throw into doubt the credibility of the program itself and scare away potential users. I would like to see this fixed as soon as possible.

Osiris

How would it damage the credibility or scare away users? The people who care about it can always download the zip version.

Zargle

Well, as a potential user myself I can say that it scared me away and made the program seem less credible. I'm especially picky, but surely I can't be the only one to feel that way.

I consider the ability to choose the install location a basic feature of a Windows installer, along with the choice of whether or not to automatically create a start menu folder/desktop icon. I suppose that could be a matter of debate, especially when an archive alternative is given.

However, it still remains that the installer for the classic version of OBS lacks clarity. The installation irrevocably begins when you agree to the license terms. Specifically, when you press the "I Agree" button shown below:
1Ayeo7Y.png

Nowhere does it imply that the shown button would immediately start the installation, and nowhere in all my years of installing programs onto a Windows computer have I encountered another installer that does this. At the very least, the button should be changed to "Agree & Install" so that users can have some idea of what the installer is going to do.

Siriö Astarot

He can read, I install it 3 times and always get the option of reading, we have not always to press the button next, next, next, ....

Possibly be to change to the software Visual & Installer for NSIS.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
It's a design decision. The original OBS has two installation folders, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Prompting for two separate installation paths is a really bad/confusing user experience for users that have enough trouble comprehending the program as it is, so the files go into Program Files and Program Files (x86). Users who want to place the files somewhere else can use the various ZIP archives available.

This has only ever been an issue with people who simply wanted the files in a different location. Sorry you feel this makes the installer "sketchy" but now you know and can move on with your business. :)

Zargle

It's a design decision. The original OBS has two installation folders, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Prompting for two separate installation paths is a really bad/confusing user experience for users that have enough trouble comprehending the program as it is, so the files go into Program Files and Program Files (x86). Users who want to place the files somewhere else can use the various ZIP archives available.

This has only ever been an issue with people who simply wanted the files in a different location. Sorry you feel this makes the installer "sketchy" but now you know and can move on with your business. :)

I still don't understand how that prevents the clarity of the installer from being improved, especially since the installer's cancel button doesn't work.