Question / Help Should I make the switch to OBS Multiplatform?

Onidraug

Hi,

My apologies if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I've heard a lot of positive things about the OBS Multiplatform test release for Windows.

I know a lot of things aren't implemented, there are few (one) OBS MP plugins at this stage, and it would take some work to set up all of my scenes again, but I've also noticed that there aren't a lot of updates happening to the old version at this point (or way, way less then there used to be).

Since OBS is a small team it makes sense for you guys to pull away and focus everything into what will eventually replace old OBS. I also read the forum post that OBS MP will not be released as a complete piece of software but rather in stages of test builds, much like old OBS.

So, I'm inclined to believe that I should update, especially if the improved performance I've heard reported is true...

Cheers,
Paul G

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Development on OBS1 has mostly stopped in favor of OBS-MP. They can coexist on the same system and store their settings separately. Just try it if you're curious. We can't tell you if it will meet your needs.

the9quad

I think I would try it out, there is no harm in testing it. If it is stable for you and runs better than switch? Keep in mind not all the old stuff has been implemented yet, so if your scenes rely on those features (scrolling text, etc..)that aren't in yet, it would be best to stay on the old version until that stuff gets put in.

So, I'm inclined to believe that I should update, especially if the improved performance I've heard reported is true...
I for one can vouch for the improved performance. I can have a 1080p30 recording on my SSD for Youtube while streaming at 720p. Can't wait for QuickSync support.