Question / Help Setup Wizard: What streaming service do I select if streaming through Google Hangouts?

AustinEd

Is there an easy way to uninstall the existing OBS VirtualCam? I am wondering if starting all over with the virtualcam would help. I've tried reinstalling several times from the OBS-VirtualCam2.0.4-Installer (1) program I'd downloaded.

AustinEd

Arg... the agony of feeling like your soooo close to being able to use this, but still struggling on this seemingly small issue that's beyond my understanding.

AustinEd

OK... here goes nothin...

OK! GREAT! Making progress. I got to THAT screen where it asked where it should be installed. BUT... when I clicked next, a pop-up message came saying "the folder C:\Program Files\obs-studio already exists. Would you like to install to that folder anyway?

OBS Install question.png

What do I answer? Yes? I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, I just don't want to !@#$ it up.

AustinEd

I'm on a version that's been upgraded all the way from Classic. They may have changed the default install location away from the (x86) directory in the last seven years. :) It SHOULD be fine, I think. The same subdirectory tree should apply, past that.

So trying to reinstall and getting to screen where it asked where it should be installed. BUT... when I clicked next, a pop-up message came saying "the folder C:\Program Files\obs-studio already exists. Would you like to install to that folder anyway?"

OBS Install question.png

What do I answer? Yes? I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, I just don't want to !@#$ it up.

AustinEd

VICTORY!!!!! Thank you all very, very much. I could not have gotten through this without your help, especially R1CH and FerretBomb. You have all helped not only me, but all of my now-distance-learning students. This makes my job much easier (or at least more interesting) as we endeavor to get through these challenging times. If there is any silver lining to this whole Corona self-quarantining and implementation of "distance learning" for the students, it's that it has required creative solutions, thinking outside the box, and has opened doors to new learning opportunities that will likely carry on long after the current situation is over.

Thank you all again for investing your time and expertise in helping this one teacher doing his best to keep the learning going, and making it as enjoyable/interesting as possible in the process.

koala

You are enthusiastic your issue is resolved, but, to be honest, and please don't get me wrong, this is absolutely basic Windows knowledge. This is stuff you do and learn by trial and error in your first month after you get your first PC. It sounds as if you never installed programs before. It may be that you had people who did it for you, but you make yourself dependent on this. If you want to avoid this kind of issue in the future, make yourself familiar with what happens when Windows installer performs the installation of an application.

The issue never happened, if you followed the first rule of app installation: don't ever change proposed installation paths, unless you absolutely know that you need to change this and why you need to change this. Whenever you get the option to change something during installation or during configuration, never change any default setting unless you exactly know what this setting does, exactly know what a change will result, and exactly know that you need to change the setting.

This advice is also about random Youtube guides you might stumble upon while looking on how to configure OBS: don't follow their advice. What they tell about configuration usually applies only to the PC of the video creator, but not necessarily to your PC, because your PC has definitely different hardware than theirs.

AustinEd

Interesting response Koala. Not the response I expected, but thanks for taking the time. I don't recall intentionally changing anything during the install, but at my age maybe my memory is not what it was. You are correct that I have not been exposed to much "installing" either other than a basic "click to install" type of program where I hit a few "continue" buttons and it does it all itself. Despite your somewhat discouraging response, I continue to be thankful for the help others provided on this. Being the older "Boomer" that I am, you are correct that I was enthusiastic about the outcome under the circumstances, and am hopeful that this success will lead to a richer, or at least more-enjoyable "remote" classroom experience for my students. And don't worry... You're all safe... I'm not teaching anything computer/tech related. :-)

I wish you well.