Settings for Minecraft? (CQP, CRF, etc) (really stuck with some stuff)

• Thread starter Deleted member 356695
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 356695

tl;dr at bottom
I use ubuntu 16.04 LTS, for Linux, and there's not a lot of support for it, which is understandable. My pc specs:
gtx 750 ti, intel i7 4790, 15.5 gb ram, 454gb on the hard disk (though I have an external hard drive).
nvidia binary driver - version 384.130 from nvidia-384 (propietary)
Currently using OBS version 27.10

All I originally wanted to do a week back, was to access the CQP option for OBS. I didn't have it (at the time, I was using OBS version 25 or something). Some basic searches revealed that I needed set the encoder to the nvidia nvenc and stuff. I didn't have it. x264 was the only option that showed up. So, after going down trails and such, I managed to access something close to the latest version of OBS, the current one up above (I deleted the graphical interface icon for the 25) Cool, it had the NVIDIA NVENC H.264. I selected it, managed to get the CQP option up, and everything. Upon attempting to record, this showed up:
failed to open nvenc codec: function not implemented
please check your video drivers are up to date
Youtube, and scrolling through this forum haphazardly without an account didn't really help. They all seemed to be minute long videos telling me to set it back to x264 (heard someone describe it as taking the bus when your car is broken). So I went off the idea that I did need to update my drivers. Unfortunately, I do not remember what I was using before (default drivers, probably), but this led me down a deep and dark hole in which I struggled with turning off x servers, attempting to use the terminal when I had no idea what I was doing (I'm facepalming right now), trying to download official things with no support, and so on. I attempted to download drivers through PPA stuff (which strangely seemed to work on the original 16.04), but keys and permissions failed. It went to the point where I followed instructions blindly and lost the graphical interface - I believe I purged the drivers (facepalm) I attempted to boot recovery modes, access terminals with ctrl, alt, f1, and so on. Eventually, I managed to reaccess the interface (still not sure how).
It was pretty slow, however, but checking the drivers, there were now open source drivers I was pretty sure hadn't been there before (it was set to the x server one), so something must've worked.
shot.png
Did a check to see what drivers ran best with my GPU, and ended up back on the proprietary one I'm pretty sure I started with (one that I wanted was the 470 or smth) Stuff now runs pretty much the same, but the new OBS doesn't have my old settings that worked alright. (maybe exactly the same, but again, I deleted the old OBS icon, facepalm). That's less of an issue, since I'll probably be able to trace history if I haven't cleared it, or discover how to actually get back to the original OBS.
I'm using some generic settings right now (CBR stuff) which don't work too well.

tl;dr
- recover old settings (history? get back the icon for the 25.0 and use that for now?)
- a fix to the nvenc problem would be phenomenal
- should I stick with these drivers, or no? any way to properly update drivers?

If you made it this far, ty for reading, even if you can't help at all, a response would be appreciated
I'm a complete newbie in certain areas, and it's probably annoying

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 356695

Bump, found some new settings and they’re alright, but still stuck on the last two