Question / Help Screen recording problem

JackOats

Hi All,
Just downloaded OBS today so this is my first post.
I've been trying to record a video of a synth patch playing in Voltage Modular.
I've already spent a couple of days with QuickTime Player & Monosnap - but only managed to record the video & not the audio.
(I'm on a Mac desktop running Catalina).
With OBS I have managed to do the opposite - record the audio of a video but not the video itself!

Could I ask, please, firstly: is it possible to change the kind of 'Hall of Mirrors' interface so the screen shows simply what is being recorded?
And secondly: what am I doing wrong to get the result you can see in the 1st attachment below, rather than the 2nd?
Would be really grateful for any insights.

Many thanks.
(Log file included below).

T0betterlife

Hi guys,
im also newbie here and have the same issue as "the kind of 'Hall of Mirrors' interface"
and if i watch recorded videos i see only 3/4 of my desktop like its not in center
using Macbook Pro 13 inch MacOS Catalina

Narcogen

That just means you are capturing the display OBS is running on, with the preview on. HoM effect is normal.

Put OBS on a second display, or minimize and control with keyboard shortcuts.

dchyde

I am on a 5K Mac running Mojave and OBS. I will assume this will be the same workflow running Catalina. I spent three full days wasting my life with the same issues but I finally cracked it so I will tell what I did to get it to work.
From your description I assume you have OBS open and all the settings as you want them. Get the video on the screen as you want it and select windowed capture and drag the corners of the video to fit the capture window. After you hit Record in OBS, click the background video and bring it to the front. It will record the main video and not the OBS mirrored window.
Now to clear the headache with Audio, you will need to download and install the plugin, iShowu Audio Capture. Do this with all apps closed and when installed Restart you Mac. In System Prefs/Sound, set Internal Speakers as Output. Your Output Settings in OBS should look like this.
Desktop Audio: Not available or disabled.
Desktop Audio 2: Dissabled.
Mic/Aux Audio: iShowU Audio Capture.
Mic/Aux Audio 2: System audio.
Mic/Aux Audio 3: System Audio.
Mic/Aux Audio 4: System Audio
Click on * right end of Mic/Aux level Meter and select Advanced Audio Properties. In Tracks Column, Check 1,2,3,4, in all five rows and in Audio Monitor Column check all as Monitor and Output.
Now play the video to record and you should see the level meters active in Mic/Aux. Move level to max and Internal Spkr to max. All should be good to go.
Now after checking a few other apps for Vid and Aud screen recording, I went back to Quicktime Player default on the Mac. Wish I had have sorted this before I wasting my time with OBS and others.
Simple setup. Open New Screen Recording. In dropdown menu next to record Button, select iShowU Audio Capture that you installed with OBS. Set up video to record, click record and pull corners to fill window, hit record. BUT! Before you hit Record, check System/Prefs/Sound and set iShowu A/C to Output. Spreaker level to max. You can save the recording as 4K and the video will burn you eyes out and Ya!! you have AUDIO. Get back to me if you still have an issue. Good luck.
David

JackOats

That just means you are capturing the display OBS is running on, with the preview on. HoM effect is normal.

Put OBS on a second display, or minimize and control with keyboard shortcuts.

Hi Narcogen - Thanks for the reply.
Have taken your advice & minimised the OSB display screen - now working great. Also assigned Hot Key to Start/Stop Recording.

Many thanks.

JackOats

I am on a 5K Mac running Mojave and OBS. I will assume this will be the same workflow running Catalina. I spent three full days wasting my life with the same issues but I finally cracked it so I will tell what I did to get it to work.
From your description I assume you have OBS open and all the settings as you want them. Get the video on the screen as you want it and select windowed capture and drag the corners of the video to fit the capture window. After you hit Record in OBS, click the background video and bring it to the front. It will record the main video and not the OBS mirrored window.
Now to clear the headache with Audio, you will need to download and install the plugin, iShowu Audio Capture. Do this with all apps closed and when installed Restart you Mac. In System Prefs/Sound, set Internal Speakers as Output. Your Output Settings in OBS should look like this.
Desktop Audio: Not available or disabled.
Desktop Audio 2: Dissabled.
Mic/Aux Audio: iShowU Audio Capture.
Mic/Aux Audio 2: System audio.
Mic/Aux Audio 3: System Audio.
Mic/Aux Audio 4: System Audio
Click on * right end of Mic/Aux level Meter and select Advanced Audio Properties. In Tracks Column, Check 1,2,3,4, in all five rows and in Audio Monitor Column check all as Monitor and Output.
Now play the video to record and you should see the level meters active in Mic/Aux. Move level to max and Internal Spkr to max. All should be good to go.
Now after checking a few other apps for Vid and Aud screen recording, I went back to Quicktime Player default on the Mac. Wish I had have sorted this before I wasting my time with OBS and others.
Simple setup. Open New Screen Recording. In dropdown menu next to record Button, select iShowU Audio Capture that you installed with OBS. Set up video to record, click record and pull corners to fill window, hit record. BUT! Before you hit Record, check System/Prefs/Sound and set iShowu A/C to Output. Spreaker level to max. You can save the recording as 4K and the video will burn you eyes out and Ya!! you have AUDIO. Get back to me if you still have an issue. Good luck.
David

Hi David - Many thanks for your extensive reply. Really very helpful.
Some of the steps I already worked out over a ve-e-e-ry long afternoon yesterday, and also installed the iShowU app - which is a great replacement for Soundflower.
But some of your suggestions I need to go through at leisure & try & implement in the next few days.

Really appreciate your help - many thanks.