Question / Help Saving settings crashes OBS

bbrout

This just happened. I go to settings and change audio inputs. I try to apply or to press ok and OBS crashes. I have purged and reinstalled. The settings page crashes OBS upon applying or ok-ing OBS. I have reinstalled through Ubuntu Software and through snap install obs-studio.

I am using Ubuntu 19.10. Can you help please?

Tuna

If I read that right on Discord this is a bug introduced in 25.0.1 and will be fixed with a hotfix release in 25.0.2.

bbrout

Thank you. In the meantime, how do I roll back to a previous version using Ubuntu and snap? I have a .deb file and would like to roll back to version .22. I remember having all sorts of problems and somehow managed to get an earlier version installed (from source?) but did not lock it so that it would not upgrade. Now I have a crashed version. I had to delete all and start over. Thanks for the reply.

bbrout

Now I run into why I had to roll back. I get this message on running obs-studio:
Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.
And this was a problem in later linux versions. That's why I had to roll back.

derekkeats

If I read that right on Discord this is a bug introduced in 25.0.1 and will be fixed with a hotfix release in 25.0.2.
I am still getting crashes in 25.0.2. Instead of crashing and disappearing as with 25.0.1, it now crashes and freezes the screen. Even ALT-F2(r) fails some of the time. Have a live stream tomorrow so have to find an older version now. Great software, I hope this can be resolved soon.

Tuna

This sounds like the notorious AMD mesa bug causing a memory leak and bringing the entire system down. Check if you are using an AMD card and see if you can get a fixed mesa build for your distribution. This bug manifests when you open property pages. Keep and eye on the memory usage while you do this.

derekkeats

This sounds like the notorious AMD mesa bug causing a memory leak and bringing the entire system down. Check if you are using an AMD card and see if you can get a fixed mesa build for your distribution. This bug manifests when you open property pages. Keep and eye on the memory usage while you do this.
Thanks. I thought that this may well be it as I am using an AMD card (a mistake I wish I had not made!). I upgraded mesa to 20.0.2 and it seems to have solved at least some of it. There still seem to be some bugs, but they are different ones now. It crashes when trying to insert V4L camera, as well as other places when changing or inserting scenes.

Upgrading mesa was done by:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa
sudo apt dist-upgrade

But that is clearly not the solution.

CaptWill

I am still getting crashes in 25.0.2. Instead of crashing and disappearing as with 25.0.1, it now crashes and freezes the screen. Even ALT-F2(r) fails some of the time. Have a live stream tomorrow so have to find an older version now. Great software, I hope this can be resolved soon.
25.0.3 did seem to fix it for me.