Question / Help Ryzen 2700x cant do anything other than very fast preset

Fyter

Recently upgraded to a ryzen 2700x. I try streaming and I keep getting skipped frames due to encoding issues. This is a 2700x so the "fast" preset should be no problem for it however I still get skipped frames even at the "faster" preset and I am at a loss as to why. If anyone could help or has had this issue with the CPU and fixed it please tell me what you did to solve it. I tried just about everything. Im not even streaming at 1080p.The only thing I can think of is my rx 580 bottlenecking the CPU but I doubt that since the skipped frames come from encoding lag. Heres my logs

https://hastebin.com/umetusopug

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hi! There's no recording attempt in that log. Could you please upload a log from a session where you recorded for at least 30 seconds and had this problem occur? Thanks!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
If I had to guess, I'd say Fortnite is consuming it's own share of CPU time. That's usually exacerbated by leaving its frame rate uncapped. If you haven't capped Fortnite's frame rate, try that, and then try to get a new log file. If you have already capped its frame rate, I may need to defer to someone more familiar with Ryzen CPUs.

Fyter

If I had to guess, I'd say Fortnite is consuming it's own share of CPU time. That's usually exacerbated by leaving its frame rate uncapped. If you haven't capped Fortnite's frame rate, try that, and then try to get a new log file. If you have already capped its frame rate, I may need to defer to someone more familiar with Ryzen CPUs.

I've already capped my fortnites frames to 120. Its weird because fortnite is a more GPU intensive game

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Most GPU intensive games are also demanding of the CPU. Is your monitor a high-refresh rate monitor (120Hz, 144Hz, etc.), or is it 60Hz?

Fyter

Most GPU intensive games are also demanding of the CPU. Is your monitor a high-refresh rate monitor (120Hz, 144Hz, etc.), or is it 60Hz?
I'm streaming on my 120 hz and have a regular 60hz monitor as my second. Asus 120 and HP the 60.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ah, so mixed refresh rates. That complicates things. There are some known oddities with Windows and GPUs and mixed refresh rate monitors. Essentially, the higher refresh rate monitor will downclock to the lower refresh rate when OBS is open, for some reason. This can also then manifest some other odd behaviors, and this (the encoder overload) may be one of them. In some cases, you can avoid this by doing one of the following:
  1. Disabling the OBS preview.
  2. Minimizing OBS.
  3. Syncing the refresh rates.
  4. Setting the refresh rates to be even multiples of each other (you've already done this though).
  5. Ensuring the higher refresh rate is forced on in your GPU/display management software after you've launched a game and OBS on separate monitors.
I don't know exactly why this happens, and neither do the other project contributors.

Fyter

Ah, so mixed refresh rates. That complicates things. There are some known oddities with Windows and GPUs and mixed refresh rate monitors. Essentially, the higher refresh rate monitor will downclock to the lower refresh rate when OBS is open, for some reason. This can also then manifest some other odd behaviors, and this (the encoder overload) may be one of them. In some cases, you can avoid this by doing one of the following:
  1. Disabling the OBS preview.
  2. Minimizing OBS.
  3. Syncing the refresh rates.
  4. Setting the refresh rates to be even multiples of each other (you've already done this though).
  5. Ensuring the higher refresh rate is forced on in your GPU/display management software after you've launched a game and OBS on separate monitors.
I don't know exactly why this happens, and neither do the other project contributors.

How exactly would I go about #5?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Typically by checking either in the Windows settings for your displays to see what the refresh rate values are set to (under advanced display settings) or in your graphics driver software control center (I don't know my way around AMD's stuff), once you see the problem occurring. Make sure it still lists the higher refresh rate that you expect to see in those places.

D

Deleted member 121471

Ryzen and RX 580 owner here.

Could you provide a log of a new scene collection with only game capture as a source and nothing else?

There's a known issue affecting multi monitor setups with mixed refresh rates introduced with the latest version of AMD display drivers. Downgrade to version 18.6.1 if you did update recently.

Also, you could try adding "threads=7" to your custom x264 options, under output category to see if it makes any difference.

Finally, which quality preset or custom settings are you running on Fortnite?

RytoEX already covered the rest.

@RytoEX If you'd like, I can private message all information concerning Ryzen and AMD cards that can cause issues in OBS, for future reference. it's not a lot of info but might help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fyter

Ryzen and RX 580 owner here.

Could you provide a log of a new scene collection with only game capture as a source and nothing else?

There's a known issue affecting multi monitor setups with mixed refresh rates introduced with the latest version of AMD display drivers. Downgrade to version 18.6.1 if you did update recently.

Also, you could try adding "threads=7" to your custom x264 options, under output category to see if it makes any difference.

Finally, which quality preset or custom settings are you running on Fortnite?

RytoEX already covered the rest.

@RytoEX If you'd like, I can private message all information concerning Ryzen and AMD cards that can cause issues in OBS, for future reference. it's not a lot of info but might help.

I have tried what you said and still not working. I even unplugged my second monitor and the cpu still cant do fast/faster preset.

https://hastebin.com/egenenihuv here is my log files

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
If taking the second monitor out of the picture does not help, then I'm beginning to wonder if the Ryzen 2700X can actually run the x264 fast preset and Fortnite at the time same. I personally do not know for sure that the Ryzen 2700X can run both Fortnite and x264 fast preset at the same time. It sounds like it would be possible, but I'd need to see some kind of reference system where this setup is working perfectly, otherwise we're just kind of assuming that it's possible.

You could experiment with this, and try running Fortnite and OBS with the x264 fast preset one at a time separately, and measure the CPU usage from each session to see if the numbers look like this should be possible. Other possibilities include an unstable overclock, heat issues, power issues, needing a BIOS update, slow RAM, PCIe bottleneck, or some other interference.

Do two more things for me.
1. Create a new scene collection with just your game capture. Start a recording session. Record for some period of time (30 seconds minimum). Stop the recording. Close OBS. Open OBS and then upload the Last Log file (Help > Log Files > Upload Last Log File). This will hopefully show a bit more diagnostic info.
2. Please download GPU-Z and post a screenshot (the camera button in the program and upload to free image hosting). To get the best results in this test, you may need to have a game running in the background or use GPU-Z's built-in render test. To run GPU-Z's render test, click the blue question mark on the right hand side of the application, and then click Start Render Test. Post the screenshot once the render test has started.

@Volfield
Sure, PM me that info, and I can pass it along to the other support volunteers.

Pranster3k

Recently upgraded to a ryzen 2700x. I try streaming and I keep getting skipped frames due to encoding issues. This is a 2700x so the "fast" preset should be no problem for it however I still get skipped frames even at the "faster" preset and I am at a loss as to why. If anyone could help or has had this issue with the CPU and fixed it please tell me what you did to solve it. I tried just about everything. Im not even streaming at 1080p.The only thing I can think of is my rx 580 bottlenecking the CPU but I doubt that since the skipped frames come from encoding lag. Heres my logs

https://hastebin.com/umetusopug

Watch the Linus Tech Tips video on streaming, he covers Ryzen processors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU

Fyter

If taking the second monitor out of the picture does not help, then I'm beginning to wonder if the Ryzen 2700X can actually run the x264 fast preset and Fortnite at the time same. I personally do not know for sure that the Ryzen 2700X can run both Fortnite and x264 fast preset at the same time. It sounds like it would be possible, but I'd need to see some kind of reference system where this setup is working perfectly, otherwise we're just kind of assuming that it's possible.

You could experiment with this, and try running Fortnite and OBS with the x264 fast preset one at a time separately, and measure the CPU usage from each session to see if the numbers look like this should be possible. Other possibilities include an unstable overclock, heat issues, power issues, needing a BIOS update, slow RAM, PCIe bottleneck, or some other interference.

Do two more things for me.
1. Create a new scene collection with just your game capture. Start a recording session. Record for some period of time (30 seconds minimum). Stop the recording. Close OBS. Open OBS and then upload the Last Log file (Help > Log Files > Upload Last Log File). This will hopefully show a bit more diagnostic info.
2. Please download GPU-Z and post a screenshot (the camera button in the program and upload to free image hosting). To get the best results in this test, you may need to have a game running in the background or use GPU-Z's built-in render test. To run GPU-Z's render test, click the blue question mark on the right hand side of the application, and then click Start Render Test. Post the screenshot once the render test has started.

@Volfield
Sure, PM me that info, and I can pass it along to the other support volunteers.

Finally just caved in and factory reset my PC, can play on fast preset no issues now. Stream quality super smooth and clean.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Finally just caved in and factory reset my PC, can play on fast preset no issues now. Stream quality super smooth and clean.
Well, that's one way to solve a problem, I suppose. Still doesn't explain exactly what caused it to not work in the first place, as that could be any number of things.

Glad you got it working!