Running OBS as Admin makes game lag alot!

joelatplay

The title says it all, normally I get anywhere from 300 - 200 fps at competitive settings on Fortnite while recording obs at decent settings, (1080p, 60fps) but now because windows 10's priorities suck, I have to run OBS as admin, and yes that does fix the problem but my fps ingame goes from 300 - 200, to 30 - 60 FPS.

Please help me! I really am baffled.

Thanks in advance, Joel. <3

Specs:

GPU: Asus DUEL Gtx 1660

CPU: Intel i5 9400f

Ram: 16gb DDR4

SSD Storage 400G

Lawrence_SoCal

No, not a Windows 10 priority issue.
The issue is you are asking your PC to do more than it is capable of, at least with your current settings. PEBKAC
By running OBS as admin, you give it priority over other things, like your game .... hence FPS drops. YOur computer is doing EXACTLY what you are telling it to.
so, either get a more powerful PC, or adjust your settings (either OBS or your game) to reduce hardware utilization requirements.
If you don't already, I recommend using Task Manager (Performance tab) and/or Resource Monitor to see if you can identify a bottleneck (though if within GPU, not sure if Windows native monitoring tools will suffice.. sorry, not my area...)

if all else is fine, just FPS that is dropping, then keep an eye on CPU utilization and GPU. Most likely GPU is underpowered, but could be issue with CPU feeding GPU. or its a setting issue
Also, see pinned post in this forum on posting your OBS log so others (I'm not a gamer) can review your settings and see if anything obvious as to why OBS may be causing your PC to struggle (like FPS vs screen refresh rates). Lots of comments in these forums about folks running FPS too high and mismatch to screen refresh rates (which Display capture using)... or any number of other mistaken setting selections

joelatplay

No its a recent problem, I'm using the same settings as a month ago, and exactly the same game settings too. Before it didn't dip, and I got around anywhere from 100 - 200 while recording on the exact same settings. But now doing the same things, its dipping to 30 - 60 FPS. I'm really confused. :(

joelatplay

I found the problem, my obs wasn't set up properly, I had accidently pressed an extra 0 in my framerate thing in obs, so instead of recording in 120 fps, I recorded in 1200 fps. Which was stupid, I know. But thanks for your help :)