Question / Help Run OBS in background Ubuntu

Mussu

Hello OBS forum,

I would like to know if I there is a way to launch OBS in background in ubuntu. I try to put this in terminal:

obs&

but it starts the gui (interface). I have all configured and I don't want to waste cpu running the gui of OBS.

Thank you,

oinkerz

Hi @Osiris I actually had a similar question and instead of opening a completely new thread I figured I'd just ask for clarification in this one. When you say it "always has a GUI", does this mean I'm unable to run OBS (or OBS classic) via the console/terminal of a Linux server? My use case is basically my friend has a Podcast and she would like to have this run 24/7 with the different episodes. I figured instead of running it on a local Windows machine that it would be easier (if it's even possible) to run it on a remote Linux server. Seeing as the encoding is handled by the CPU rather than GPU, I would assume this would be possible, but your answer makes me think otherwise. Do you mind elaborating? Thanks in advance!

sln4k

When I start it with -start it doesn't start streaming. Is this still supported in linux?