Bug Report Rift Mirror Screen turned black after steady use

Fang333333

Hey guys,

After at least 8 months of solid broadcasting (With mirror anyway) OBS is now giving me a black screen for the Rift Mirror. The problem has been apparent for a few days. Sometimes it comes back but mostly it doesn't. I have been messing with settings a little so know this is not my usual recording settings

This has crippled my Youtube recordings!

Here's a link for a log?

and log itself...

Thanks0
Fang

Attachments

• 2020-02-12 14-20-26.txt
    6 KB · Views: 39

Narcogen

There's nothing to look at. Log describes a successful capture:

14:21:34.169: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] attempting to hook process: OculusMirror.exe
14:21:34.174: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] using direct hook
14:21:34.201: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] Hooked to process: OculusMirror.exe
14:21:34.202: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] (half life scientist) everything.. seems to be in order
14:21:34.212: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] Hooked DXGI
14:21:34.223: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] d3d11 shared texture capture successful
14:21:34.235: [game-capture: 'Oculus Mirror'] shared texture capture successful

Is your other capture on top of this? Is it blank, or hidden?

14:20:32.656: - scene 'Scene':
14:20:32.656: - source: 'OpenVR Capture' (openvr_capture)
14:20:32.656: - source: 'Oculus Mirror' (game_capture)
14:20:32.656: - source: 'Rift S Mic' (wasapi_input_capture)
14:20:32.656: - source: 'Video Capture Device' (dshow_input)
14:20:32.656: - source: 'Desktop Audio Output Capture' (wasapi_output_capture)

Fang333333

Thank you for looking at this!

The screen is blank. Sometimes one frame shows frozen but mostly there is no image coming from the oculus mirror. Up until 4 days ago this worked flawelessly. Now it shows nothing coming from mirror.

Last edited:

Fang333333

IGNORE ABOVE RESPONSE. FORUM STOPPED LETTING ME EDIT REPLY

Thank you for looking at this!
The screen is blank. Sometimes one frame shows frozen but mostly there is no image coming from the oculus mirror. Up until 4 days ago this worked flawelessly. Now it shows nothing coming from mirror.
I tried installing OBS Classic. When I first selected the mirror I had a flowing video in preview. 30 40 second later it went blank. Never to return. This was what happened in regular OBS 4 days ago. I went to stream as usual, noticed it was frozen on a frame restarted, had a few seconds of video then it went blank, never to return. I have reinstalled everything multiple times now, including Oculus software.
No updates or any related software changes. It was streaming one minute, then stopped the next.
Thanks so much.
This is stressing me out so badly.

Narcogen

No, I mean you have two captures in your scene:

14:20:32.656: - source: 'OpenVR Capture' (openvr_capture)
14:20:32.656: - source: 'Oculus Mirror' (game_capture)

The OpenVR one is on top. If that is not hidden and not currently functional, it may be obscuring a functioning source underneath it.

You may wish to try creating a new, blank scene collection and adding sources as new to see if that makes any difference.

Fang333333

Hello!
Thank you so much for the reply!
The window order saldy isnt the issue. Ironically since reinstall i have been struggling to get OpenVR back...
This is so crazy!

Fang333333

Hello all

I just want to update the thread, I am still unable to record and am really behind on some videos.
If anyone has any ideas please comment. I'm over here grasping at straws.
I am stepping it up and now offering a reward... One KING SIZE Twix Bar to the prophesied messiah who puts an end to the darkness and restores light to the Oculus Kingdom.

Is there no-one to slay this Plague of Darkness?

Please,
Many Cocoa Elve's have fallen to provide this bountiful reward to our coming messiah.

Fang333333

Unfortunately I don't have any VR equipment. I hope someone can help you.

Thank you Narcogen. I have had a breakthrough however I am far from outta the woods. After resetting Windows and reinstalling everything I can think of for the 2nd week I discovered that OBS is capturing Mirror only when it is RUNNING in the FOREGROUND. As soon as I minimize the screen turns blank. Also bizarre is that the window gets minimized in OBS if I start to drag the Mirror window off-screen. OBS is literally only displaying the portion of my screen that is left.

If I go fullscreen on Mirror it shows in OBS, however I need to be able to minimize the window in order to play DCS. Not to mention having mirror fullscreened, OBS and DCS displaying all at the same time really kills the FPS.

Please Help. Please, there has to be a fix. I need to get back on track recording wise.

Thank you internet

See screenshots. I could not post pictures here but you can see them in the DCS forum.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4224722#post4224722 on Page 2

Narcogen

Minimized to a window, or minimized to the task bar?

If you're doing a window or app capture, the app needs to be producing a window in order to be captured. If you set up the capture running full screen, and then minimize, that window is gone, replaced by a different window.

If you're minimizing to the task bar, I don't think there's any way to capture that. It needs to be running on a display somewhere in order to be captured. OBS is getting it from the GPU's frame buffer, and if there's no window visible anywhere, there's nothing there to capture.

Fang333333

Minimized to a window, or minimized to the task bar?

If you're doing a window or app capture, the app needs to be producing a window in order to be captured.... is getting it from the GPU's frame buffer, and if there's no window visible anywhere, there's nothing there to capture.

Hello again Narcogen,
Thanks for your response.
I'm not sure frankly what I was using before, however it is in the log file posted here still. I think I used game capture or window capture before? Not sure. I do know for a fact that it was able to capture Oculus Mirror when Oculus Mirror was minimized (only showing on my task bar). It is next to impossible to play DCS without it minimized in the backround.

It was sound before, I hit "-" Oculus mirror minimized to taskbar and capturing continued.

(Also an update, I have a fresh updated Windows 10, Fresh computer Drivers, Bios and now even DCS is getting a repair)

Thanks again for looking at this, it super important for me!

Fang

koala

What Narcogen was trying to say: it's not OBS stopping the capture of your app, it's the app not rendering any more its window as soon as it detects it is minimized or went off-screen. If it worked before, this may be due to a change within the app you're trying to capture, or perhaps a Windows change - this (possibly new) behavior saves system resources, as it is pointless from a Windows' or app's point of view to render a window nobody is seeing anyway.

You can verify this behavior by hovering your mouse over the app task bar icon while it is minimized. Usually, Windows displays a small live preview of an app if you hover the mouse over the task bar icon. For non-minimized apps, I actually see a live preview. For example, I see a game being updated. But as soon as I minimize any app, the task bar preview of that app is frozen with the last frame of when that app was not minimized. On my system, this is true for every kind of app - game, ordinary window, even text-based console windows.

With other words: probably, you cannot capture minimized apps, because these apps don't render their windows while minimized. OBS has no part in that, it's just a victim of a window not being rendered any more.

zaelu

Thank you Fang!! I thought I was crazy.

I can confirm to you that it is a real problem not a hickup or something as I also have it.
I can confirm that it suddenly appeared although for months it worked flawlessly.
Oculus mirror freezes in OBS always after being minimised and sometimes is "minimised" or stops rendering after few seconds/minutes.
After it happens is very difficult to make it unfreeze. Lots of OBS and Oculus Mirror restarts are needed.

I also can confirm it is how Koala says it is. It doesn't seem to be OBS rather the oculus mirror not being rendered after minimisation and this sets a chain of events that makes OBS not to respond to this source (which is a game source... specific window... btw)

I didn't solved it yet but I am sure it has nothing to do with the windows installation so I will not reinstall.

For now I have the following suspects and I will proceed to test after I post this:

1. At some point I have used an optimisation guide for VR users found on... DCS forums! (I normally play IL-2 now as I don't have resources for DCS)
2. At some point I enabled some elements enlargements on screen (display settings in Win10) cause I got fed up with tiny stuff on my 4K monitor
3. Some graphic driver update screwed all up... I have a GTX 1070.

If I find the problem I will come back to write it.

This is a screen record with nv share to show to the others the problem. You can see how the oculus mirror freezes in OBS when I minimize its window also when I put the mouse over the taskbar button the thumbnail shows it frozen although I was moving the headset (RiftS btw).

zaelu

No luck for now. The first 2 points had nothing to do with it. I also tried disabling the tablet mode of Win10. Nothing. I wonder if before when everything worked fine the minimized oculus mirror window worked just the same, meaning not really rendering but still showing ok on OBS.

Fang333333

No luck for now. The first 2 points had nothing to do with it. I also tried disabling the tablet mode of Win10. Nothing. I wonder if before when everything worked fine the minimized oculus mirror window worked just the same, meaning not really rendering but still showing ok on OBS.

Thanks zaelu!
So hapy someone else out there sees the issue! I have no news to report still, but if you have any ideas please post here! I have not had any new ideas as to how to fix this... mer.
It really seems to affect recording performance on my end..

Fang333333

something from 2008. They say this behaviour would be correct

It might not be what causes our problem.

I'm gonna have to review that! I did think about trying to cintact MS and see what they say...I hope we can figure this out, having to fullscreen Mirror is so freaking terrible. I wonder if this is some kind of bug that others may stary seeing.