Retro Effects

Retro Effects 1.0.0

Mark Late

Hi, I've just installed in OBS 30.2 (MacOS Intel) and it doesn't recognize the package inside filters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I had fun making an effect that looks like one of the very earliest home VTRs, notably AVCO's Cartrivision from the early 1970s, integrated into many large console TVs, mainly from Sears, among others. Until the advent of azimuth recording used on Beta and VHS, to reduce tape consumption, it used a "skip-field" system which records one out of every three fields (scanner disc has three heads, head #1 records or plays, while the other two only play), which the machine then plays three times on playback. The motion effect is... shall we say... strange. In any event, it allowed about 112 minutes' worth of recording on about 2000' of 1/2" video tape running at about 3 3/4 IPS (9.5cm/s).

To do this, I have to use two instances of the filter:

• First for the "Skip frame" effect - For it to mimic the effect properly, you need either 59.94 or 60 FPS. Set it to skip two frames.
  • Second for the "Interlace" effect - So it actually emulates NTSC scanning properly.
  • BONUS ROUND: Add any number of any other effects, such as VHS, CRT, Analog Glitch, NTSC, etc.
Also, I'd like to nitpick a little about the "tape wrinkle" part of the VHS effect. VHS, Beta, U-Matic and many other video scanners rotate in the same direction as tape travel, so the the wrinkle artifacts should travel downward. Other VTRs, such as Cartrivision, EIAJ, Sony CV-series and 1" Type A and C VTRs' video scanners rotate in the opposite direction of tape travel, so the the artifacts should travel upward.

Anyway, thanks for putting this plugin out!

--Katt. =^.^=

Last edited:
Hi, I've just installed in OBS 30.2 (MacOS Intel) and it doesn't recognize the package inside filters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Hi Mark,

Apologies, I just saw this message. The first thing to check- make sure you are not grabbing the ARM version of the plugin/installer (though I think on an intel mac, it would prevent from even installing it). You should be grabbing the x86 or Universal installer.

The next step- can you open OBS, then go to the Help menu, Logs, and Upload Current Log, and then either post the link it gives you here, or DM it to me? That'll let me see if it is being recognized by OBS, but is having some other issue. Then we can troubleshoot from there.

I had fun making an effect that looks like one of the very earliest home VTRs, notably AVCO's Cartrivision from the early 1970s, integrated into many large console TVs, mainly from Sears, among others. Until the advent of azimuth recording used on Beta and VHS, to reduce tape consumption, it used a "skip-field" system which records one out of every three fields (scanner disc has three heads, head #1 records or plays, while the other two only play), which the machine then plays three times on playback. The motion effect is... shall we say... strange. In any event, it allowed about 112 minutes' worth of recording on about 2000' of 1/2" video tape running at about 3 3/4 IPS (9.5cm/s).

To do this, I have to use two instances of the filter:

• First for the "Skip frame" effect - For it to mimic the effect properly, you need either 59.94 or 60 FPS. Set it to skip two frames.
  • Second for the "Interlace" effect - So it actually emulates NTSC scanning properly.
  • BONUS ROUND: Add any number of any other effects, such as VHS, CRT, Analog Glitch, NTSC, etc.
Also, I'd like to nitpick a little about the "tape wrinkle" part of the VHS effect. VHS, Beta, U-Matic and many other video scanners rotate in the same direction as tape travel, so the the wrinkle artifacts should travel downward. Other VTRs, such as Cartrivision, EIAJ, Sony CV-series and 1" Type A and C VTRs' video scanners rotate in the opposite direction of tape travel, so the the artifacts should travel upward.

Anyway, thanks for putting this plugin out!

--Katt. =^.^=

Hit Katt,

I love that you're combining a bunch of the filters to make an overall effect. That was my hope for use of the plugin. Do you have a clip somewhere that shows the end effect? This sounds like a great effect, and I'd love to see what it looks like.

Regarding the tape direction- thank you for this info. I don't have any VCRs available to use, and was primarily going off of example footage I could find of the various artifacts. In the next version of the plugin, I can do something like allowing the "duration" field to go negative where negative values move downward, and positive values move upward, or add a direction dropdown menu option.