Question / Help Resolution Downscale to 1080p?

Sethos

Hey,

I recently started to dabble with OBS and it seems good so far. However I have one little thing that is bugging me. Currently on a 2560x1440 monitor and I'd like to downscale the stream to 1080p. However, the resolution downscale doesn't list it, despite being a common 16:9 resolution?

Basically goes 1.25 (2048x1152) and then on to 1.50 (1706x960)

So am I missing something, can you edit some files to add 1080p specifically?

Thanks

FerretBomb

Unfortunately the dropdown doesn't include a mid-range or 'target resolution' slider, and going from 1440 to 1080 isn't an easy multiple (so the downscale isn't going to really look all that good).

A couple of options are available:
-Set your base resolution in OBS to 1920x1080 and scale sources down. This will give a fairly poor quality downscale, but isn't horrible. Text WILL look bad.
-Set your OBS base resolution to 2880x1620, scale your sources UP, then use a 1.5 downscale from there to hit 1080. No idea how well this will work. Theoretically a bit better than the above, but it probably will still look crappy.

1440p is kind of the new kid, and eventually will probably fall into the same territory as those using 1366x768 displays... the latter can't really hit 720p smoothly, even if they're still a 16:9 ratio. There's a reason that neither is really recommended for anyone livestreaming.

Boildown

Its a 4/3 downscale, so its a nice multiple, just one that isn't written into the code. You can try posting in the Suggestions forum that you want a 4/3rds downscale (1.33). I'm considering updating to 1440p in future so I'd like this as well (although I'll probably elect to do a 2x downscale and stream at 720p most days).

Edit: I went ahead and created a new topic requesting this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12451