[Request] - Groupable Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerretBomb

A simple idea that might clean things up a little. Allow scenes to be put into a collapsible 'folder' in the scene list, with a checkbox or radio button near each one. Define which scene will be used when the folder is selected (or the hotkey assigned to said folder is pressed) by clicking the radio button.

At-present, I use a 'main game' hotkey with about a hundred game/window-cap sources which I check and uncheck based upon which game I'm playing, so I can alt-tab in and out of a game or switch scenes without having OBS lose focus, or me have to figure out if a game needs a window or a game capture to be grabbed successfully.

Problem is, after that I have to move my on-screen resources around (chatbox, webcam, art assets, etc) to fit each game I want to play. Allowing saving a scene for each of these with everything already in-place would simplify things greatly! I could create the hundred scenes and set whichever to use the 'main game' hotkey, but it'd be a severe pain in the ass to do so, especially with a large list and no click-and-drag reordering or hotkey reordering for scenes (only sources).

---

Semi-related for the rewrite, would it be possible to have a global 'game source' defined, to allow inclusion of the current main game without needing to go through each scene and switch active layers on and off? It'd allow for richer AFK splash-screens (main game running in the corner), including the game in an inset when using full-screen face-cam for viewer interaction, and could simplify things greatly.

Only difficulty would be handling sources that don't fit the aspect ratio of the workspace, unless something like a 'position your source' mini-preview was included when you added a new source to the meta-source pointer, or left/center/right-justify options for off-aspect sources.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
This kind of thing will be available in the "Studio" version of the OBS rewrite. In OBS Studio, scenes can be added to other scenes as sources. I think that will suffice for what you want to do.

FerretBomb

That could get complicated very quickly. Makes me think of the Maya hypershade. Still, yes, it sounds like it would work; set up each game capture as a separate scene, fed into a 'main game' pointer/placeholder node that could be added to each of the actual scenes, then just change which scene feeds into the placeholder.
Man, I hope scenes will be 'hideable' or groupable for organization in that case.

Still, would be nice to see the main request added to the non-Studio version if it wouldn't be a major/time-intensive addition.

Krazy

Town drunk
The non-Studio version is pretty much dead code at this point, so new features like this almost certainly won't be added.

FerretBomb

Bad news for those who prefer to stick on old code with known problems (and workarounds), and let others jump in on the new stuff to discover the pitfalls, or only test it outside of a production environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.