Request for OBS compatibility with Hauppauge capture cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Ross

I know this has been asked for before but I have not seen any post in the recent months about it. I depend on my HD PVR 2 to stream because it takes the load off of my computer but I really wish to use OBS. OBS is amazing in every way except that it bogs down my computer when streaming. This is why I have to use an external video card to stream. So if there is any progress on this issue, can we please be informed on it? And if there is none, is there a possibility we could start seeing some soon. Thank you for your attention.

BtbN

There is no way OBS or the rewrite would ever be able to utilize the encoder in a random device, even if it happens to be a capture device.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
There are some devices that do have a decoder you can query and use -- the live gamer HD is an example of such a device, though its quality is poor for streaming purposes. The HD PVR doesn't expose its encoder to the PC, it's used for sending data *to* the PC so the image can fit over a USB 2.0 port, not the other way around.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Also, we'll be adding actual hauppauge HD PVR (at least HD PVR 2) recording in the rewrite at some point.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
With a question like that, the answer would be "When it's done."

Anyway, the rewrite of OBS, obs-studio, has been in progress since late last year, and is currently approaching the state where early test releases are likely to get made sometime soon. However, we can't at the moment give you a precise ETA, and the Hauppauge/other USB 2.0 cards are not likely to be supported in the initial release.

GillyMoMo

I will be waiting then. It will deff save me the hassle of running the software that they have and running a monitor capture! Look forward to a full release!

Status
Not open for further replies.